Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: toyota engine options
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

4x4_MMMH_4x4

im wondering what kind of engine options and swaps are possible for a toyota, i will be going up north in january for 8 weeks and plan on finishing the brown truck and then getting ready to swap something into the toyota... possibly something along the v6 to v8 range... possibly a v8... can the toyota transmission hold up to a chevy 350??? can the axles hold up to a 350?? can the transfer case hold up to a 350??? or should i just say muck it and throw a 350 sm465 and a 208 in there??? ideas??? comments???

TJVigilante

Is this going to be a year-round vehicle or not?
The axles would be fine if the tire size were kept reasonable. I'd suggest upgraded shafts for the front birfs, but the axles would most likely hold up.

JMO, but I like to concentrate on one rig at a time. Get it running and driving, then tear into the DD. It doesn't always happen that way, but the idea is sound.

4x4_MMMH_4x4

not DD, the daily driver is going to be an 84 chevy im getting before i leave... i got sent a buttload of cash for xmas to dump on the brown truck too... should be able to afford crossover steering and exhaust with it...

akdsmer

4x4_MMMH_4x4 Wrote:im wondering what kind of engine options and swaps are possible for a toyota, i will be going up north in january for 8 weeks and plan on finishing the brown truck and then getting ready to swap something into the toyota... possibly something along the v6 to v8 range... possibly a v8... can the toyota transmission hold up to a chevy 350??? can the axles hold up to a 350?? can the transfer case hold up to a 350??? or should i just say muck it and throw a 350 sm465 and a 208 in there??? ideas??? comments???

It would have to be seasonal. To borrow your signature-and only in fun....MUAHAHAHAHA Big Grin

4x4_MMMH_4x4

the toyota will probably be a trailer only rig... so im not worried about seasonal or not... although i do have some questions about that kelly, if you are caught driving a seasonal only vehicle on a non state maintained trail or road, can you still be fined???
what year toyota ? if it a 85 and older the rear axle will hold up fine up to about 36 tires and a v-8 the front will need the birfs upgraded and it wont be a problem and are handling chebby 350 and 37's daily .. the pre 85 tcases and even newer 4cyl tcases are gear driven and will handle a v-8 with little to no issues ...

as for the 5spds they have been known to hold up for awhile but tend to break output shafts when hammared on .
i believe the w52 is a weak link but the newer 5spds with the 22re or turbo would be safe to use ..turbo is harder to find but if you find the tranny and t-case as a combo it will handle the v-8 .
if you wanted a more bolt in and go with lots more torque look for a celica supra gt motor with or without turbo 6cyl and it will bolt to the tranny and motor mounts !

4x4_MMMH_4x4

im thinking it will almost be easier to find a chevy 350 to sm465 to np208 combo... the 208 should have no problem what so ever holding up to a 350 with 35s in a toyota, and if i remember the 208s have the lowest 4 low between the 203 and the 205... i wont mind having to do driveline work because i plan on redoing the suspension... 52" 6" lift chevy springs in the front with some leaf packs taken out and 63 inch chevy springs in the rear and those cool revolver shackles, front shock hoops and some sort of different rear shock setup... im going to try and go leaf sprung and get a kit to get more articulation than marlincrawler and allpro

akdsmer

4x4_MMMH_4x4 Wrote:the toyota will probably be a trailer only rig... so im not worried about seasonal or not... although i do have some questions about that kelly, if you are caught driving a seasonal only vehicle on a non state maintained trail or road, can you still be fined???

Drive your seasonally registered vehicle in the Fairbanks North Star Borough and you can get it impounded. Up to 5K in fines, 1 Yr in jail. Inability to get another seasonal waiver for 5 years, which would suck if it's non-I/M able. It doesn't matter if the road is maintained or not. Even private property-the agreement is NO operation.

4x4_MMMH_4x4

hmm that kinda sucks, but ohwell i suppose i could live with it
I wouldn't do it. The fines, jail time and other problems are not worth it.

4x4_MMMH_4x4

no, im saying i could live with driving it seasonally... no trail runs in winter and the like...
You said trailer only rig? If so couldnt you just not have it regestered at all, and use it as a trail only rig without implications ?
Not with what Kelly said.

I think he knows all about I/M laws.
I think that only was an issue if he where to have it as a season reg vehicle. Wheres the Ref when ya need him ? Big Grin
akdsmer Wrote:Drive your seasonally registered vehicle in the Fairbanks North Star Borough and you can get it impounded. Up to 5K in fines, 1 Yr in jail. Inability to get another seasonal waiver for 5 years, which would suck if it's non-I/M able. It doesn't matter if the road is maintained or not. Even private property-the agreement is NO operation.

Here's the answer to that. It was just a few posts higher.
Exactly that is only in effect on seasonal reg vehicles. Not having any relevance on non reg vehicles.
Hmmm..... more research is needed.

TJVigilante

I believe a vehicle must be registered to be operated in the FNSB. Even ATV's and snowmachines. And an IM, or seasonal exemption, is required to be registered.
Yeah, non-registration just gets you in more trouble, at least that's what I was under the impression of.
TJVigilante Wrote:I believe a vehicle must be registered to be operated in the FNSB. Even ATV's and snowmachines. And an IM, or seasonal exemption, is required to be registered.
Wrong, there is no requirements for ATVS although snow machines do have to be regesturd.
As far as I know there is nothing saying that a ATV or OHV has to be registered.

TJVigilante

http://state.ak.us/dmv/reg/index.htm#special

I guess it's only if it's used in winter.

It says nothing about an offroad-only buggy or trailered truck...I'll need to keep searching for specific documentation on that.
If you read that it says that snowmachines must be reg`ed and ATV CAN BE it is not a requirement regardless of season

TJVigilante

Yeah, I said only if it's used in winter. If you're out on the snow in a wide/lowpressure tire ATV, and you get pulled, I think you have to have a registration.
Pages: 1 2