Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Holeproof TJ bumper
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

naturalbornmudder

Lil' T is sporting a new look these days. Eric sucessfully designed and fabricated a stinger integrated Holeproof TJ bumper with integrated winch mount.
Lighter than my old bumper and stinger, this one is stronger and protects the fenders better.
I will be adding some light tabs soon and putting th efairlead permanently on there within the next week or so.

Pictures pending.
Ready for a Geocache placement??

[Image: Dsc_0324.jpg]

TJVigilante

Man that looks slick...how's the approach angle? Any side shots?

naturalbornmudder

no side shots yet. I am surprised Geoff was able to bring up any pictures at all. I though it got deleted off of the gallery after a PM.

holeski

Yeah once again Nate was our test pig. Not done yet since our air compressor took a poopoo. This bumper came out a bit wider then I had expected but I think I really like it. If any one is interested in one let me know. It can be shorter, have a light bar or stinger, steering box protection bar, light tabs, winch mount, tow points, air dams/skidplates you name it and we can customize it for you TJ.

TJVigilante

Alright, how about the same design with a hood protector hoop, 4 light tabs, just wide enough to match the fenders(not the flares), stinger, winch mount and d-ring mounts?

holeski

Looking at around $500 for the bumper and maybe $125-175 for the hood hoop.

TJVigilante

:eek::eek::eek:

naturalbornmudder

imagine having to order one from a dealer and ship it up. Having made my last bumper and just did my rear bumper, I can say that a lot of time goes into a project like that. If I were to sell my rear swing away, I would not ask less then 600, counting all of the materials and labor I put into it.

akdsmer

naturalbornmudder Wrote:counting all of the materials and labor I put into it.

Steel is NOT cheap, neither is the shop equipment such as the bender, welder that is used in fabricating. Plus, I know that the lightbar on my Dodge is made of thinwall tube and would only protect my bumper from bugs. Lots of aftermarket stuff is for looks only. Better to pay up and get the good stuff.

holeski

In the lower 48 I could order 1.75" .120 wall DOM for around $2.50 a foot shipped to my doorstep. Here after shipping its $6.50 a foot, that’s with out mark up. Then look at steel plate. 4x8 foot sheet of 1/4 plate is over $300 and that’s the smallest sheet we can buy. Welding wire is $100 a spool, gas is about $75 a fill, grinding disks are $2.50 each, plus electric to run the everything, bender was over $1,000 and each die is over $300 each, Hole saws are $5-10 each and will only cut 12-24 notches before giving up. Gas and time to go pick all this junk up and we haven’t even counted labor yet. So the more you think of it $500.oo is cheap.

TJVigilante

Oh I'm not saying it's not cheap considering what you get...I'm just saying that's alot of money for me. I guess I'll have to wait.

holeski

Any money is a lot for most of us. Trust me I understand.

naturalbornmudder

[Image: 100_0127.JPG]

TJVigilante

Nice, lots of room for a front stretch if desired. Wink

holeski

Yeah with the way the TJ has the swaybar up top it pushes it out some. I think I know hao to make it a bit shorter and closer to the grill now.
holeski Wrote:In the lower 48 I could order 1.75" .120 wall DOM for around $2.50 a foot shipped to my doorstep. Here after shipping its $6.50 a foot, that’s with out mark up. Then look at steel plate. 4x8 foot sheet of 1/4 plate is over $300 and that’s the smallest sheet we can buy. Welding wire is $100 a spool, gas is about $75 a fill, grinding disks are $2.50 each, plus electric to run the everything, bender was over $1,000 and each die is over $300 each, Hole saws are $5-10 each and will only cut 12-24 notches before giving up. Gas and time to go pick all this junk up and we haven’t even counted labor yet. So the more you think of it $500.oo is cheap.

I figured out that the last two bumpers I made I averaged about $6 / hour for labor! :eek:

And these things do not go together quickly.

One guy was convinced he could have done it himself - until I started listing all the tool and the amount each one cost and reminded him he didn't know how to use those tools until I taught him building his bumper. :whistle:

BTW - that looks really nice!
Action pics are sooo much better.

Just one question, did you have your disco belt on when you took that?