Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Super Swamper LTBs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

akjeep

Anyone running these?
Anyone got any? I want to see what one looks like before I commit to them. There is some discrepency as to the pictures I am finding. I guess the only way I will know for sure is if I see one in person.
They look like a TSL just more agressive. I've never had the chance to run them but I've seen them on other rigs and they said they love them.

TJVigilante

TSL with huge lugs, slightly tighter spacing(not so much as an SSR and they still do great in the mud), and really aggressive sidebiters.

They also don't say LTB on the sidewall....I don't see the issue either way, as they're the cheapest swamper made, so if you're buying used, it's a price point that works in your favor.

I want some 33x13.50's.
They are very narrow and lighter weight, which means they are more forgiving on axleshafts, etc. I love narrow tires, I ran 4 different sets of tires on my old YJ, and by far the best tire was the narrow 38X11 boggers, they went everywhere the wider 38x16X15 swampers did, but I didn't break a thing with the boggers while I did break 2 D44 front shafts with the wide heavy swampers. I love the look of wider tires, but they are hell on parts. One other nice thing about the skinny boggers is that the death wobble went away.....

TJVigilante

Of the four sizes available, two are skinny, two are pretty wide(although, a 47x17 can be considered average-skinny :p ), the 33x13.50's are by far the most popular.
I was mostly talking about the 32 and 34 9.50's, they rock.

INDIANOUTLAW

yea i'm thinking i'm going to run the 34's when i get new tires toward the end of this summer.

4x4_MMMH_4x4

american tire and auto downton has 1!!!!!!!!!
I'm running the 33x13.5x15. Love em
Here's a thread about them and I'll post up some current pics for you later today after work.
http://www.alaska4x4network.com/showthread.php?t=17629

akjeep

Yeah, the 32 and 34 x9.50 are TSLs. They call them SS's. That's what I runa and I really like them. The LTB's are an inch wider, which isn't what I wanted, but they are $20 a tire cheaper. So, I'm tryin' to decide if I'm gonna go with the SS's or try the LTB's. The LTB's also do not have quite as much tread depth as the SS's.

TJVigilante

Wow, 5/32 more tread depth...that's insane. (not being sarcastic either). I'm sure those would rock, as long as the mud you're in isn't deeper than your frame.
the Mchugh's ran the 34x10.5 on their cherokee for a while, and they looked / worked great in my opnion. eventually, when i have extra cash flow and the ambition to build my taco, i will most likey be tossing the LTB's on it. For the price, i think they are unbeatable Cool

akjeep

Here is my question I guess -
Some pictures of the LTB show these side biters on them:
[Image: 549.jpg]

Where other pics show no side biters:
[Image: superswamper_SSltb_c.jpg]

Do they have these or not?

TJVigilante

probably an updated tire, design change. I'd trust the one they have on their site, the one with the sidebiters. The pic on their site also looks to be their 47" size, that one could have the sidebiters while the smaller sizes don't...
Same as the Cooper Discoveror STT`s they have a updated mold and now have side biters where as they didnt use to and you can get sites that show it both ways. I would verify with whomever you are ordering these from to make sure if they do or do not have the biters as even if it is a new design someone might be selling you a new set of the old design.

akjeep

That's one of the things I was thinking.
I've had more than a few people tell me that the pic on their site isn't an LTB. Like you say - maybe it's their new design and everyone around here is still working with their old style....

akjeep

Oh, And I guess the LTBs use a softer rubber compound. More traction?? Faster wear???

I suppose I'll just go with the SS's.......At least I'm familiar with them and I know they work well for me....

ziggy

akjeep Wrote:LTBs use a softer rubber compound. More traction?? Faster wear???
Softer compound=Grater wear and better traction
The Super Swamper LTBs are in the same basic Three Stage Lug design as the TSL's but a little more aggressive. The large lug is offset more to the outside which gives the tire better traction. It is in bias ply construction which allows for the more aggressive lugs and very strong sidewalls to better resist the rigors of hard off-roading. The bias construction reduces the chances of sidewall splitting when run off road at low air pressure. There are seven sizes available….sizes which are not available in the regular TSL
As well If you would like to look at one in person there is one on display at the DownTown American Tire I think it is a 34".
Here's some pics the day I put the LTB's on. The newer ones are the 33x13.5x15 LTB's and the older worn out ones are regular 33x12.5x15 TSL's

[Image: 2006-f-jun-16_07.jpg]

[Image: 2006-f-jun-16_08.jpg]

[Image: 2006-f-jun-16_13.jpg]

[Image: 2006-f-jun-16_14.jpg]

[Image: 2006-f-jun-16_18.jpg]
Here is a pic about 5 months later. Maybe 8,000 miles.
[Image: 2006-k-nov-12_18_crop.jpg]