Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Russian Lada Niva
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
A friend of mine was working in Russia and snapped a picture of this rig. Looks like it would make a good off roader with the high floatation.

[Image: Lada05.jpg]

Here's a link to what the vehicle would have looked like before the mods. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_Niva
Sorry I don't have any details about the mods.

holeski

Yeah the Russia guys have some really cool stuff. They make it work with what they got. Most of these guys have a huge amount of training on machine tools, but not a lot of resources. We would be smart to build our rigs more like there here in Alaska if we really wanted to get back some of our trails.
I'd pimp that. It needs a paint job, though.

INDIANOUTLAW

[FONT=Arial Black Wrote:sevenslats[/FONT]]I'd pimp that. It needs a paint job, though.

would you prefer pink maybe?

TJVigilante

how much traction can that thing get on ice? Tires aren't nearly aggressive enough to counter the high surface area/low pressure downfalls of driving on ice.

holeski

Yes they are! There are a lot of guys up there not even running tires. They run innertubes held to the rim with straps. Those tires have more then enough traction. Do a search for Karakat Tires. Then look around at some of the tires the Way north guys are running. Almost no tread, but remember all that area is flat.

[Image: 101005-big-arctic3.jpg]

AKLJ8

I think Joe was refering to hard pack ice like we have on our paved roads for a daily driver. I could see that being an issue on a daily driver but the floatation would be incredable. Bet they wouldn't work as well in our mud though...

TJVigilante

nah I was referring to what was shown....I'm not worried about daily driveability with a rig like that. :p I was more referring to our kinds of trails that when icy, get really difficult.