Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: 33x13.5's on 15x8's?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TJVigilante

Thanks to Damien and Rob I may be coming into a set of LTB's on the cheap. The problem lies in the fact that I don't want to buy new wheels for them....will it cause a HUGE problem if I put them on my 15x8's? I'll have an added 1.5" of overhang on either side of the wheel...I have clearance to the control arms(i think), and I'm not too worried about fender clearance, I'm mostly worried about wear on the tires themselves for fitting them to wheels that are too skinny.

Another option would probably be beadlocking my Cragars. That'll make them a bit wider, and overall more badass. How much would that cost on average?

I'll also need a 33" spare...

Advent

I'm running 33x12.5s on 15x7s. No weird wear patterns.

Edit: Of course, they're also radials.
Damien would be the best person to ask. He's the "tyre expert".

You can find DIY beadlocks for under $200 per wheel. DOn't forget to include the cost of instal.

TJVigilante

I'll probably wait on the beadlocks then....spend that money on something else (like those beadlocks in Anchorage that would fit my bigger axles).

I'll be waiting on these tires until I'm in a more secure financial state...the price will be waiting for me. Big Grin
You should be able to reduce odd wear patterns with that tire/wheel combo by reducing air pressure to the point of having an even contact patch. Easiest way to check is get sidewalk chaulk and mark a line across the tire. Drive in a dry asphault parking lot a 100' or so and check the line. If it wears in the middle more than the outsides reduce pressure, add pressure if it wears on the outsides more than the middle. I imagine it would be closer to 15-18psi for that wide of a tire. Also narrow rim will lower the risk of popping a bead.

Of couse this check might have to wait until winter is over, but it worked for me. My 35x12.5's mounted on 15x8's are at 16 psi and I have excellent traction in 2wd. I haven't used 4wd this winter since my front drive shaft is bent. I keep the hubs unlocked to reduce vibes.

TJVigilante

What I wanted to avoid is having too low an air pressure to make that even contact patch introducing too much sidewall flex and heating up the bias tires. Your tires are radials so they aren't affected as much...And there's always the issue of flat spotting...

ziggy

Interco Recomends for that tire Recomends 10" wheel.Max inflation 30psi.
Part #LTB-04

TJVigilante

Yeah I know about all that...:p

But I don't have 15x10's and I don't have the money to get some.

ziggy

You will be ok with your 8" wheels.
I have seen 35-15.50's on a seven wide wheel. The guy had quite a few mies on them too. I got the tyres from him and ran 'em on a ten and put a few more miles on them, then sold 'em to another guy...
You can run 'em without too much problem on an eight, just mind the air pressure, DON'T RUN AT MAXIMUM. I would run them between 15-20psi on the street, they will be a bit "smushy" but well within the driveability of the jeep.

ziggy

Yah what he said.
I prefer the narrower rims on that wide of a tire. My best friend in Tucson had 33x12.5R15's on 15x12 rims. The footprint was awesome and they looked nice, but he blew a bead airing down to 7psi. Meanwhile I run 33x12.5's on 15x8's and have no qualms running to 4 or 5 psi on the trail.

This friend also had lots of scraping on rims as well as the tires didn't stick past the rim edges much. My tires stick way out, and protect the rims. I like it, but it's a personal preference really. You'll be fine with your current rims Joe. Can't wait to see those tires on your Jeep. That will be sweet!