Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Next tire Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well my geolanders are comming to the end of their life and I am starting to look for the next set. I was wondering if anyone has any information on the Nitto Mud Grapplers. I was reading some reviews and people seem to compare them to super swampers in the mud. I was going to go with TSL's but don't want the balance problems that come with them if I don't have to. I am really wondering if they last or if they ware out quick. Also can any of the AO Vendors get them cheeper than the internet has them for or even get them at all?[URL="http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?tpc=NITVM1&tp=Truck%2FSUV"]
[/URL]

naturalbornmudder

I hear good things about Nittos, but I havent heard anything abou ttheir street/winter manners

INDIANOUTLAW

what do you mean there wearing out they look pretty good to me.
I`m betting thats his justification to buy a new, read -BIGGER- set :dunno:
INDIANOUTLAW Wrote:what do you mean there wearing out they look pretty good to me.

The front are doing ok, About 60-65% The rear are about 40% at best. I have a new spare so I'm going to order another to match it and run them on the back but when their gone their GONE. I think they will end up with DD duty untill then.

STOMPR Wrote:I`m betting thats his justification to buy a new, read -BIGGER- set :dunno:

Bigger is the way right Big Grin. My goal is 36's or atleast 35's, I just have to find the tire I want. This is my goal to do this before the summer mud comes:rockon: I love Mud Big Grin
JP just did a good article on tires. If you don't get that one, Primedia will print it in another magazine within the next 4 months, and you'll probably get that issue. :thumbsdown:

Nittos got good reviews in the mud.
Nothing wears as well as we want.

AK20

Flawed Wrote:I was reading some reviews and people seem to compare them to super swampers in the mud. I was going to go with TSL's but don't want the balance problems that come with them if I don't have to.[URL="http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireProductCategoryDetailBrnd.do?tpc=NITVM1&tp=Truck%2FSUV"]
[/URL]

I don't know that anything compares to Swampers in the mud, other than another set of swampersWink You said you were thinking 36's, I rolled some 36x12.50 TSL Radials and had no issues with having them ballanced at all. Had them mounted and balanced at American Tire for around $10 a tire and they rode awesome on the street, not to bad on noise either and the wear was great. Heck I even got close to 15mpg on the highway in a full size Chevy with the overdrive and 36's...They did killer in mud as well...

4x4_MMMH_4x4

hey i loved my 33" trxus M/T, i got 20,000 miles out of them of hard play, until i got rid of the truck they were on, and they still had 60% tread... when i say hard play i mean full throttle threw south cushman muck, and i did probably 25 donuts on them in a little toyota pickup... great tire for the price... im betting geoff will throw his .02 in on those too... although i dont know what kinda mileage he got out of them... oh they were pretty darn quite on the street too!!! for a swamper...

AK20 Wrote:had no issues with having them ballanced at all. Had them mounted and balanced at American Tire for around $10 a tire and they rode awesome on the street

becauce i balanced them... i am the man... and im sure there were issues with getting them to balance... but they were balanced when they were handed to youBig Grin

AK20

Oh yeah that's right! True there could have been issues getting them to balance, but not for the customer! It also wasn't like there was 5 pounds of lead hanging off each rim either though, I thought they were great on the street...alot better than my un-balanced boggers at highway speeds. lol

4x4_MMMH_4x4

hahaha... ill still never forget the day i mounted those... couldnt beleive some one was putting them on that ol blue chevy
4x4_MMMH_4x4 Wrote:hey i loved my 33" trxus M/T, i got 20,000 miles out of them of hard play, until i got rid of the truck they were on, and they still had 60% tread... when i say hard play i mean full throttle threw south cushman muck, and i did probably 25 donuts on them in a little toyota pickup... great tire for the price... im betting geoff will throw his .02 in on those too... although i dont know what kinda mileage he got out of them... oh they were pretty darn quite on the street too!!! for a swamper...

becauce i balanced them... i am the man... and im sure there were issues with getting them to balance... but they were balanced when they were handed to youBig Grin

Props to the TrXus. The day they make those in a 36 or 37 I'm buying a set.

naturalbornmudder

Quote:
Props to the TrXus
even after Jon and Leni's Manchu winchfest?
driver error.
If I was going to wheel in boggy tundra only, I wouldn't run TrXus. But if I DD my rig, and hit mud once a month, yes.

Don't make me count the times your slicks let you down in the mud.

naturalbornmudder

Quote:
Don't make me count the times your slicks let you down in the mud
but not on the Manchu winchfest....:troutslap: :clap: :whistle: Big Grin
Just go with TSL's and allow someone else to worry about balancing them.

naturalbornmudder

Quote:
Just go with TSL's
floatation is sometimes an issue with swampers...
naturalbornmudder Wrote:floatation is sometimes an issue with swampers...
Yep its all about compromise if you dont want a tire that is dedicated to one purpose. Boggers for Mud, Blizzacks for ice roads, it all comes to finding the middle ground for what you want...or have multiple sets of tires if your rich.
The thing with the TSL's is I hate doing what everyone else does. I know their an awesome tire but their has to be someting else out their with better all around manners and near the same performance. If I have to I'll get them but only After I have looked at everything else. The Mud grapplers are said to be in the same leage as them But better other places as well. I bought my geolanders because no one else could tell me much about them. I have not been disapointed in their performance. I herd they wear fast and took a chance. I don't regret buying them and would buy them over and over if I could afford to do it every 6 months. I was just hoping someone might have has some experience with mud grapplers before I shell out the dought to get them. I have a couple months so we will see what rolls into the garage next.

naturalbornmudder

That was what fueled me to buy the Timberlines back when I did. They were great tires, but I thnk I got a bad batch. 2 of the 5 I bought gave up the ghost within the first 500 miles. The crazy part is I loved them and they did awesome in the mud and the rocks. They were just a soft rubber compound.
Damien ran the same set of tires, size and everything, and never had a problem with them.

I like my MTR's They have their weak spot, which is deep mud, but I always seem to make it through ok. Not as good as TSL's or boggers, but as good as BFG MT's and their like. MTR's give me the ability to float pretty well on snow and over mud, do great in the rocks and sand(or in this case, sand snow). PLus I have confidence in their sidewall strength and tire wear.
Havign said that, my next set will not be an MTR, but rather a more aggressive terrain-dedicated tire like something Swamper-ish or rock friendly.
I haven't ran the Nitto's but know many who have when I was doen in NC. I never heard one person complain about them. They went great in the mud and did great on NC clay. As far as wear most I've seen last longer than swampers. I don't like them cause all these hiphop ppl putting them on their hummers on 22's.