Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Finding the right truck or build it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I need to find a trail rig. I was thinking about a Jeep or Samurai for the trail and keeping my 1 ton truck for towing. This brings up some extra costs, like insurance, licensing, I/M, and maintenance like tires, batteries, etc... I think I want to get one vehicle that can do both.

I thought about lifting my current truck, but it's a crew cab long bed with a diesel. Too wide, long, and heavy for any real offroading.

I have always wanted a 1987 3/4 or 1 ton Chevy/GMC short box truck with a 454. This would make a decent sized trail rig and would tow my 10,000# trailer also. The only problem is finding one. 1987's are hard to find because it was the last year of the old straight body style and the first year of TBI. The other rarity is a short box 3/4 or 1 ton. I'm pretty sure they made short box models in the heavier trucks, but I could be wrong.

So now I am thinking of finding a 1981 to 1987 truck and fitting in a 454 fuel injected engine or maybe even doing a 6.5 diesel conversion. I'm pretty sure I'll need more power/durability than a 350 will hold up to in the long run. Seems like I can find 1/2 tons by the dozen, if I buy one of these, is the frame as strong as 3/4 or 1 ton frames?

Or would I be better off getting a 1 ton long bed and cutting down the frame?

I'm thinking of about 6 inches of lift and 35" to 37" MT tires for daily driving and most offroading. I also want some tractor style tires or boggers for serious offroading. I would just mount these for weekends when I didn't need to tow. I need the MT tires since I'll be towing heavy loads and most boggers aren't rated for these type of loads. The MT tires are available in D or even E load ranges. I'm also planning on gearing low for towing and big tires.

Just looking for some info and suggestions. Thanks.

4x4_MMMH_4x4

get the newer cooper discoverer, the STT's... if your looking for an MT tire with good load rating and wear
Having your rig as your DD isn't the greatest option, if you break it, you are sunk as far as getting to work and back.

I prefer having two vehicles. Your rig doesn't need full coverage insurance unless you owe money on it. Liability is cheap and getting the I/M etc isn't all that bad.

Best part is if you break it and don't have enough money or time to fix it right away, no problem, as you've still got your DD to get around with. Or if you DD decides to give out, you also have a way to get around until you get it fixed, unless you sell your rig and now are forced to quickly fix your DD. (Yes, I'm in that very situation right now)

I happen to know that Kevin has a 1/2 ton Chevy Diesel shortbed 4x4 that could easily be made into a monster. Bigger axles, a lift, and tires and you'd be on your way. Not overly expensive and you'd have a fun toy.
Dude there is an 84 on craglist right now with a 454, TH400, NP205, 60 and 14 bolt for 2 grand!!!
AKMark Wrote:I happen to know that Kevin has a 1/2 ton Chevy Diesel shortbed 4x4 that could easily be made into a monster. Bigger axles, a lift, and tires and you'd be on your way. Not overly expensive and you'd have a fun toy.

This I do have

93hummer Wrote:Dude there is an 84 on craglist right now with a 454, TH400, NP205, 60 and 14 bolt for 2 grand!!!

That is an incredible price. Even if the body is trashed, the running gear is worth more than that.

Also, I have many spare parts for that vintage truck should you need any.
Kev, I got the cash I would buy it this weekend but I need someone to drive me down there... wanna make a roadtrip?

84 chevy 1 ton 454 - $2000

Reply to: sale-286373482@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-02-28, 5:36PM AKST

84 chevy 1 ton dana 60 front and rear, 4inch lift front and rear springs no blocks, rebuilt 454, turbo 400 transmission,205 transfer case, new drivelines call 357 4661 or email sargeantsarah@msn.com possible trade????
There was also a TBI 454 chevy truck in the News miner last week.. don't know if it is still there... it was $3000.
93hummer Wrote:Kev, I got the cash I would buy it this weekend but I need someone to drive me down there... wanna make a roadtrip?

You know me and weekends! Cool

What about Sunday PM / Monday?

akdsmer

4x4_MMMH_4x4 Wrote:get the newer cooper discoverer, the STT's... if your looking for an MT tire with good load rating and wear

These have worn even faster than my blizzaks. I won't be buying another set.
93hummer Wrote:Kev, I got the cash I would buy it this weekend but I need someone to drive me down there... wanna make a roadtrip?

You can buy a one way ticket on Alaska Airlines for $124 and have the seller meet you at the airport.

That is worth not having to put almost that much fuel into a second vehicle.
AKMark Wrote:Having your rig as your DD isn't the greatest option, if you break it, you are sunk as far as getting to work and back.

I prefer having two vehicles. Your rig doesn't need full coverage insurance unless you owe money on it. Liability is cheap and getting the I/M etc isn't all that bad.

Best part is if you break it and don't have enough money or time to fix it right away, no problem, as you've still got your DD to get around with. Or if you DD decides to give out, you also have a way to get around until you get it fixed, unless you sell your rig and now are forced to quickly fix your DD. (Yes, I'm in that very situation right now)

I happen to know that Kevin has a 1/2 ton Chevy Diesel shortbed 4x4 that could easily be made into a monster. Bigger axles, a lift, and tires and you'd be on your way. Not overly expensive and you'd have a fun toy.

I don't have to drive to work and we have 3 vehicles right now so if one broke down not really at a loss. The fact that I have 3 vehicles is one reason I don't want to add another. All the little cost for all of them really start to add up. Liability insurance is only about $60/month, but more cost none the less.

I may end up buying a strictly trail rig, but right now think I want dual purpose rig.
akdsmer Wrote:These have worn even faster than my blizzaks. I won't be buying another set.

Good to know, I was thinking about a set for my truck.
93hummer Wrote:Dude there is an 84 on craglist right now with a 454, TH400, NP205, 60 and 14 bolt for 2 grand!!!

Sounds like an awesome deal. I have an e-mail into the seller to see if it's a shortbed. With my luck it's probably a longbed.
Anybody ever buy parts from LMC truck? These old truck usually have a lot of body rot. I'd want to replace the bad panels and replace any broken or missing trim.
They don't make shortbeds in 3/4 and 1 tons. Unless the vehicle is a 90's or newer model extended or club cab.
Twin_Kings Wrote:I don't have to drive to work and we have 3 vehicles right now so if one broke down not really at a loss. The fact that I have 3 vehicles is one reason I don't want to add another. All the little cost for all of them really start to add up. Liability insurance is only about $60/month, but more cost none the less.

I may end up buying a strictly trail rig, but right now think I want dual purpose rig.

Dang my liability is only about $30, I'm spoiled. Didn't know you had 3 vehicles already.
Twin_Kings Wrote:Sounds like an awesome deal. I have an e-mail into the seller to see if it's a shortbed. With my luck it's probably a longbed.

Sell got back to me already. It's a long bed Sad

Any thoughts on shortening the frame?
AKMark Wrote:Dang my liability is only about $30, I'm spoiled. Didn't know you had 3 vehicles already.

I may have to check again. I thought is was $360 for 6 months, but it might have been $360 for the whole year. I know my full coverage is something like $640 for 6 months.
AKMark Wrote:They don't make shortbeds in 3/4 and 1 tons. Unless the vehicle is a 90's or newer model extended or club cab.

A couple of years ago I found a '87 1 ton short bed with a 454 on Ebay. It was cherry, lift and 37" tires already. It was even close to Alaska (Washington), but $9,000 and I didn't have the $$$$ at the time. Maybe he made his own 1 ton out of a 1/2 ton.

Any thoughts on differences of frame thicknesses?

TJVigilante

Twin_Kings Wrote:Sell got back to me already. It's a long bed Sad

Any thoughts on shortening the frame?

Hardest part would be new fuel and brake lines. Unless you want to cut them and splice some soft lines in....

new driveshaft, lots of cutting and welding.

AK20

I think the hardest part would be either cutting your existing bed down to short box length, or finding another one the same color in good shape...The metal work on the frame and lines etc., no biggie IMO. The only part of the frame I would personally worry about, which is inherent in all 1/2-1 ton Chevys, is right where the steering box mounts...pretty much the only place they fail regularly. Simple fix is weld on frame brace kit, can be bought in town for under $100. Other than that your not going to find any real difference in the 1/2, 3/4 or 1 ton trucks other than running gear that will make a big difference.

By the way, that 84 in Anchorage...I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a jelly donut if I was looking for a rig...

Advent

I can think of two really good reasons not to build your dream truck into your tow rig:

1. 10,000 pounds with a short bed regular cab truck? No. Heck no. On top of that, I think that's higher than the tow rating of any solid axle Chevy, ever.

2. Swampers don't make very good towing tires. Sure, you could cough up for expensive dual purpose tires...But that would add more to the cost than just having two rigs!

Edit: Looked it up, the one tons have a 10k rating (with weight distributing hitch) in 1991 (as far back as I could find in my quick searching). I still wouldn't tow anything at capacity in a 20 year old truck.
Advent Wrote:Edit: Looked it up, the one tons have a 10k rating (with weight distributing hitch) in 1991 (as far back as I could find in my quick searching). I still wouldn't tow anything at capacity in a 20 year old truck.

Wuss! Big Grin

As long as you keep it up, it's good to go.

Advent

I guess it's more along the lines of not towing anything at a truck's capacity. I like a 1/3 margin of error if possible.

In other words, to tow a 10k trailer I'd prefer a 13k rating.
Well, I think I found the perfect base truck. 1987 1/2 ton shortbox. I'm going to look at it on my way to Anchorage Wednesday. Straight clean body from the pictures I've got so far. I'm excited, can't wait.

4x4_MMMH_4x4

you dont want an 87, their TBI's were garbage... only reason im installing one is to gain IM worthyness
Pages: 1 2