Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Homepage poll: Time spent immobilized
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's the longest time your rig has spent immobile? Be it stuck on the trail, broke on a trailer, or on jackstands in your driveway?
Count Manchu winchfests and the like as 1 stuck.
Stuck on the trail for 13 hours
Broke on the trailer for 4 hours
On jackstands in teh driveway for 8 months - Longest
The Burb is about to break my record, but the ZJ was out for almost 4 weeks when I did the trans swap.

I bet it's another six weeks at the earliest before the Burb is even close to running again.
My M715 has not really been driven since Oct '03. It hit some back roads without brakes in Feb '05 when I moved to NP from FtWW, but I don't really count that trip. I almost crashed it that night, too.

naturalbornmudder

lil' t was involved in two Manchu winchfests. Down for 4 days with a shattered clutch bearing, down for a week or so during the axle swap, and DOA once at -50 for 2 or 3 days.

TJVigilante

Counting stucks, I said 4-14 days because I parked it for a week before I got the bearings changed out. It's parked again though because I need to put the spare on and it's cold out.
I said 1-3 hours, But I have been lucky so far. I just hope it keeps holding out, Knock on wood

Advent

Finally, something I can win!
1-4 months. My 2000 chevy was down for almost 3month while I rebuilt the engine. Broke on the trail for 1 day until we finally got my ranger pulled out to a spot to get it on a trailer in CO.
Jeep, What Jeep... I'm only waiting for my SkidPlate then I have to put it all back together before I can drive again
When I moved from AK in July '84 the trans burnt up on the long drive to MO. I could drive it a mile or two before the trans would overheat - so I could make it to Campus and back. But then the Vega blew it's engine - So I took the engine out of the truck and put it in the Vega.

In '99 I got a 455 Buick form my brother and put that in the Blazer - but the trans and t-case were still shot. Meanwhile Kael had come along, I was working for peanuts, and couldn't afford stuff. Trailered it to TN when I moved there. IN 2000 I had a trans and t-case rebuilt. Backed it out of the driveway and had no forward gears. :angry: Had it towed to the trans shop and dfrove it the 11 miles home a week later, only to loose oil pressure and hear a slight knock. :eek: Found out the oil pump housing was worn out. MOved - trailered it, to KC, then down to SW Mo. Found another front housing and got it running - only to have the same basic problem, except I shut it off before any knocking. Bought a 1970 350 for $500 in Aug of '03 and got it running just in time to move up here in Sept - although it once again rode the trailer.

SO really - from the spring of 98 to August of 03. 5 years, and many a heart break.
:oops: Added to homepage!
sevenslats Wrote:And yet, he still prefers older chevys :confused: :?:

Lets compare base price, upgrade costs, ease of installation and wrenchning and available parts and time down :whistle:

To continue the saga... Got the truck running in MO in Sept 03, put 3/4 ton axles on it, as well as a set of 38.5 TSL's. After the first winter of wheeling and the addition of lockers, snapped the front axleshafts. From Mar-04 to June '04 it was down while I found, purchased, and re-geared 1 ton axles. At the same time I swapped to crossover steering set up, and went from an auto to manual trans. Wheeled Boulder and attempted Meet-n-greet to only find a cracked frame at the steering box.

So it was down another month while I found a fix for that ill.

Nov and Dec of '04 lead to two different trail fires. The old 1970 engine seals all gave up the ghost after a bout with -40 and I couldn't even hope to contain it! So it sat from Jan - June of '05 while I saved the money to rebuid the engine. Again, I got this done just before meet-n-greet '05.

And to continue my trend of finishing at the last minute before meet-n-greet the Skitzo went to '06! Big Grin

The Blazer has had a few small issues since, but not down for those extended periods of time.
Well I cursed myself, A broken power steering reservior has kept me immobilized for almost a week waiting for parts. Why make parts in plastic on a jeep :banghead:
Flawed Wrote:Well I cursed myself, A broken power steering reservior has kept me immobilized for almost a week waiting for parts. Why make parts in plastic on a jeep :banghead:

Why? Same reason they'd make a unibody! Big Grin Lighter and cheaper to manufacture (with the exception of Kelly's crumple zone reasoning!)

I hear ya - some engineering feats just make little sense.
I've been Suburbanless way too long. Hopefully, that will be fixed by this upcoming weekend.