Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Need help extracting bolt
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I need assistance from someone with mad skills in bolt extraction.

One of the rear hubs that I got in the disk conv kit had 2 of the axle flange studs left in it. I figured no big deal that they must have been needed for the machining and welding jigs when the rotor flange was installed. Turns out they just didn't wanna come outta the holes. Vise grip was no-go.Sad One came out with a nut welded to it.Smile The other just kept twisting off little by little with each wasted welded on nut.:mad: I'm stuck.:angry:

I think it's to the point where the hole needs a complete drilling and some Helicoil. I'd be willing to entertain an attempt at some reverse drilling and bolt extractors but wouldn't hold my breath. Well, I have none of this stuff and wouldn't trust myself to not destroy the hole altogether if I just bought the kits and went for it.

Help please. I can bring it to you.

naturalbornmudder

Steve, I have bolt extractors, 2 sets of easy-outs and such you are willing to borrowe. Unfortunately I am low on time to actually help out. I will be on WW tomorrow evening if you want me to bring anything over on my way...
Thanks, but I'd hate to break your easy outs. This thing wouldn't budge with welded on nuts. I need to explore another option first. The guy who made the kits told me to look for someone who can EDM the broken stud out. (Electro Discharge Machine) He said it's a pretty common tool in the world of engine rebuilders, especially deisel, and can blast the stud out and not damage the threads.

Does anyone know of a shop with an EDM thingamabob?b

naturalbornmudder

oh yeah, I also have a propane torch too.

naturalbornmudder

why not just drill the **** thing all the way out and re-tap it for what you need?

Or is it a blind hole?
SHoppe715 Wrote:Help please. I can bring it to you.

What is the bolt/stud stuck in?

What I'd suggest is to drill for an easy out, and if not in somehting that will fry some unchangeable seal, hit it with a torch (bigger than the small propane ones, although thats a start) then when red hot use the extractor.

I have to go pick up Kodi from NP at 8 PM, should be home by 8:30 - will be up till midnight or so - head this way.
Is the bolt broken off flush with the flange? Maybe you can weld a nut (through the center of the nut to the bolt)? If you are able to weld a nut to it and it still doesn't come out, spray down with penetrant oil then give a few sharp raps with a hammer. Hopefully it will come out.

EDM may be hard to find in Fairbanks. There are a lot of things that people in the lower 48 take for granted, but Fairbanks and even Anchorage don't have.
What's your recourse with the disc conversion parts supllier?
Twin_Kings Wrote:Is the bolt broken off flush with the flange? Maybe you can weld a nut (through the center of the nut to the bolt)? If you are able to weld a nut to it and it still doesn't come out, spray down with penetrant oil then give a few sharp raps with a hammer. Hopefully it will come out.

Good advice - and it almost worked!

The bolt (or stud) was not flush, but twice we welded nuts to it to no avail, even heating the hub to a slight glow with the torch resulted in nothing.

I used a grinder and carefully made 2 flat surfaces and put some vice grips on it and still no go - then - maybe a 32nd of a turn. so we tried to weld another nut on - but that twisted off as well.

Then we ground the surfaces flat angain and heated it again and I thought, I wonder if ... so I tightened it, then loosened it - maybe a 16th of a turn that time... again anad again, back and forth until finally out it came.

Then Steve noticed my shop press and said - I was going to go to the hobby shop and yuse theirs... So we hung out in the garage all morning - he mainly working on his hubs and me tinkering with some other small projects.

He ordered us Pizza as a thank you and me and the kids had lunch. (thansk Steve)
No, no. Thank you. You did much more than 2 pizzas worth of work for me along with letting me use your schtuff to get going on the wheel studs. All I have to do now is get a new race in there like we figured.

The races in my old hubs look good. Are they the kind of things that can get pressed out and then back in or will the removal destroy a good one like many seals? I think I know the answer... and hope Young's won't bend me over too far.

Ray at Helitool where I got the kits said he'll take care of me if the hub were to get completely trashed. It would be tricky as he's packing up his shop and moving to Thailand, but he wants me to keep in touch so he knows I'm good to go. I could send him one of my old ones and for the cost of shipping he'll install a rotor flange and send it back to me.
Oh, wait.:whistle: Master overhaul kits come with new bearings and races...right. I already have those!Smile Actually, I have most of them. When I ordered a boatload o' stuff from Randy's I didn't have exactly all the right info cause I had not torn the axles apart yet. Now that I have the bits and pieces out I can order the rest of the bearings and cones.
Can races be re-used? Yes. And I've done it before, but it is not the best, as you surmized.

But sounds like you solved your own problem there.

I have always punched races in and out with a sledge and brass punch.