Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Heavy duty tires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I started looking for wheels and tires yesterday.

For the '87 1/2 ton, I'm pretty sure I'm going with 35's in either a Toyo MT, Cooper STT, BFG MT. The question is: go with a 15" tire that has less plys and is more flexable or go with a 16" with stiffer sidewalls? Would the 8 ply tires have problems if you air them down? Any feedback on the Dunlop mud tires that Sam's carries?

I think I'm going to build a second truck also. Currently looking for a '81 to '87 1 ton. I want to go 36" to 39" tires on this one. I saw some Michelin XL or XZL at Giant Tire yesterday. 11.00R16 which is a 11" x 39" tires. These are the same tire they run on military vehicles. Any feedback on these? They are pricey and heavy. $550 per tire and 110# !!!

naturalbornmudder

Quote:
Any feedback on the Dunlop mud tires that Sam's carries?

On this, I can say these tires wear quickly. They get great traction in most conditions, and obviously bested my MTR's in mud, but their sidewall leaves something to be desired and the set I had lasted less than 1 year total. I was not impressed.