Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: PSD t-case options for a Wagoneer/FSJ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

TJVigilante

I'm looking for a qualitative list of tranny/transfer case options that would be relatively easy/bolt-in to an FSJ with a factory 360. There's the original PSD quadratrack but that has an offset rear axle as well. Then there's the Dana 300 but that's pretty rare compared to the GM options that are out there.

Is there a GM transfer case that will bolt up to a Jeep transmission? How about a Chevy tranny that will bolt up to a 360? Adapter plates?

What would be the best route for putting 1-ton chevy running gear under a FSJ in regards to strength, price, and availability?

essentially, I want to learn myself the ways of the shadetree 4x4 mechanic when it comes to bolt-on replacement upgrades on the cheap. Writeups, links, lists, etc.

Advent

The transmission should be a TH400, which is a GM unit.

I happen to have an adapter to a 'cruiser case that would allow the rear axle to be kept offset...
The AMC Turbo 400, isn't much like the Chevy 400. Many differences between the two and nothing that will bolt up to one will bolt up to another.

The 1980 + FSJ's use the TF 727 which is 23 spline and essentially most of the newer Jeep T-cases fit on them. I'm swapping my NP219 (one of the several Q-track types) to a NP208 which in the FSJ world was the command track of the times. It has a fixed rear output so no SYE to worry about.

TJVigilante

So....back to Passenger's side drop options for a Jeep 360.... :p

I just see that chevy stuff is alot more easily found than Ford or Dodge....so I'd like to keep any options open for any future projects I may choose to take on.
The NP208 I'm going with is a Driver's drop. FSJ stuff after 1980 is.

Prior to 1980, most FSJ stuff was offset.

Advent

You mean driver's?

Anyway, couldn't you put a GM TH400 in place of the jeep unit? If you got one mated to a 203 or 205 that makes for a pretty simple passenger drop setup.
Advent Wrote:You mean driver's?

Anyway, couldn't you put a GM TH400 in place of the jeep unit? If you got one mated to a 203 or 205 that makes for a pretty simple passenger drop setup.

Fixed previous post, and no you can't. Won't bolt up to a 360.
TJVigilante Wrote:How about a Chevy tranny that will bolt up to a 360? Adapter plates?

If my information is correct the AMC 360's used a BOP trans bolt pattern (BOP = Buick, Olds, Pontiac).

There are adapter plates (I remember Jeggs used to have one for under $100) that go Chevy trans to BOP block and or BOP trans to Chevy block.

Or you could find a BOP trans with a transfer case added to it (I know where a set up like that is sitting, both a rebuilt trans (th350) and a tcase (203 that was rebuilt before I knew what I was doing - although a 203 isn't the most desireable case)

It would be easier to find a t-case to bolt up to that trans though - the right 205 would. or 203 or 208.

TJVigilante

This is what I need to know.

Now, sources for these parts. What comes with a 205 that would work, or a 203 or 208.

I'd like to be able to pool all this knowledge together into a database somewhere and be able to get a shopping list made up for a salvage-yard closeout sale or whatever. Dumpster diving, abandoned truck salvaging, etc.

Pretty much I want to get the basics down before I dive into wrenching on stuff I don't know about.
To my knowledge, BOP hasn't produced trucks with t-cases in a long time - not full size anyway. Most likely you'll need the adaptor plate, then any Chevy/GMC would work.

I would think for that heavy of a rig - if you are wanting it off-road worthy, you'd want a 400/205 combo.

However, if you are driving it on the highway a 700R4/208 would work (overdrive - although this isn't the best trans, it was put in many suburbans)

AK20

I know you can get adapters to marry non-BOP trannys to BOP engines, I've looked into this for a Caddy motor swap using a GM transmissions. You could do a divorced setup but in a small rig that would just be silly, as far as dumpster diving and freebies go...as long as you have room just grab the stuff and see if it could work later, if not just take it back to where you got itWink
Just stay with the 300, 4:1 kits and twin sticks are afffordable when you're ready and you don't have to clock it. I bought mine used in Anchorage for 50 bucks and it's tough, best case Jeep ever produced.

TJVigilante

MORE MORE!! I NEED MORE INPUT!!

Johnny Five is Alive.
I'm no FSJ guru, but here's what mine has...

AMC360 - T181B - Dana20

Some people say the D20 isn't all that and others think it's tough as nails. It's a gear driven case with an iron housing that was put in some 1ton trucks. My opinion - it's tough for it's size and weight but it wouldn't hold up to an overbuilt torque monster of an engine. They're supposedly easy to find and pretty cheap in the lower 48 but, like everything else, not so much up here.

TJVigilante

Driver's drop or no? The M715's are PSD aren't they? I noticed that in an older JP mag issue just today.
TJVigilante Wrote:MORE MORE!! I NEED MORE INPUT!!

Johnny Five is Alive.

OK, here is your adapter - part number 555-60172 bolts a GM trans to a BOP block.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/se..._751074_-1

I have a turbo 350 and a 205 that would bolt to it.
I do not know the condition of the 350, but you can normally get these rebuilt with upgrades for $500-600.
Then again, it may run just fin as is... though I'd at least throw the new $15 filter in it.

There's a bit more input. For the money and uncertainty of the trans, I'd look for the 300 option as Jamakeit mentioned.
you cant use a pre 79 t case any way the out put is a very long 10 spline reserved only for the nast quada track junk .. so if you use a th400 wich they came wit you would need to change the tail shaft to chevy out put shaft .

personally the d20 in our applications work very well i m using a twin stick d20 now .
you can find quite a few fsj using the th400 with d20 still on the road here locally .. FSJ& used this combo turning 37's and locked with no issues .

if you are running a tf727 you have more options in tcases .
Just remember

The Dana 20 came in vehicles rated at 3/4 and 1 tons.

The Dana 300 came only in vehicles rated under 1/2 ton.

Lots of good cases out there, get one that works for you and go for it.

AK20

You can also use a Dana 20 with the range box of a Chevy 203 and make a doubler out of it, same process as using the Chevy 205, just a different adapter...
TJVigilante Wrote:Driver's drop or no? The M715's are PSD aren't they? I noticed that in an older JP mag issue just today.
Passenger side. Check the avatar:troutslap:
Fix_It Wrote:i m using a twin stick d20 now.
Pictures of the twin stick please. Did you buy it or make one? I have an idea to make one with locking sticks so I can remove the interlock pins to get front, rear, and 4 hi and lo. I just have to know not to put front and back in different ranges.
AK20 Wrote:You can also use a Dana 20 with the range box of a Chevy 203 and make a doubler out of it...
There's an adapter for that? or do you need to custom fabricate? I'm still thinking Teralow20 gears for 3.15 low range. That with the 6.32 granny gear on the T18 should be plenty (It'll be about a 90:1 crawl ratio with the 4.56 r&p.)

Threadjacking complete...Big Grin