Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: 14 bolt semi-floater or full-floater
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am building 2 trucks right now and planning on buying a 3rd. The first one will be a daily driver (and occasional offroad) which is the 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton. Currently has 10 bolts front and rear. I am planning 35's with locked rear and either locked or limited slip front. I want to swap out to Dana 44 front and 14 bolt rear. I find lots of 14 bolt semi-floaters, but not many full floaters. Will the semi-floater be fine for this truck?

I am also building a plow truck from a 1975 3/4 ton which has a Dana 44 front and 14 bolt full-floater rear. This truck will be used for plowing, towing, and might even get a sander in the bed. I am thinking I want to keep the full-floater in this one. Or would it be alright to put this full-floater in the 1/2 ton and install a semi-floater?

Thanks for all the advice. If all goes well, I should find a K30 to build as a trail rig or might even buy a FJ40 that I found. Until then I want to get the 1/2 ton trail ready.
And you said you didn't want too many vehicles.

SF14 will hold up to 35's locked just fine. If you are gonna go to 37's or larger, I'd throw the FF14 in the rig though.
If you're towing, it'd be silly to pull out a FF. :nono:

I also think it'd be silly to swap out a 10-bolt for a d44, for strength issues alone. Now, if it's a gear swap, a bolt pattern swap, or someting else, okay. but the labor required outweighs the strength gain, IMHO.
Twin_Kings Wrote:...one will be a daily driver (and occasional offroad) which is the 1987 Chevy 1/2 ton. Currently has 10 bolts front and rear. I am planning 35's with locked rear and either locked or limited slip front. I want to swap out to Dana 44 front and 14 bolt rear. I find lots of 14 bolt semi-floaters, but not many full floaters. Will the semi-floater be fine for this truck?

sevenslats Wrote:I also think it'd be silly to swap out a 10-bolt for a d44, for strength issues alone. Now, if it's a gear swap, a bolt pattern swap, or someting else, okay. but the labor required outweighs the strength gain, IMHO.

I agree with Geoff on this - the strength of a 44 is at best minimally stronger than a 10 bolt. when you compare ring gear/pinion gear, axle thickness, etc... they are almost identical.

I actually have very little experience with a semi-float. I know that MSI has plenty of 14Bolt FF axles, but they also tend to think they are plated in gold rather than grease. However, for 35's, street use and mild off-roading, I'll agree with Mark and say the semi-float should work ok. I used to wheel with 35's on a 12 bolt axle and it held up ust fine, so a SF 14 should hold up just as well.

Twin_Kings Wrote:...I am also building a plow truck from a 1975 3/4 ton which has a Dana 44 front and 14 bolt full-floater rear. This truck will be used for plowing, towing, and might even get a sander in the bed. I am thinking I want to keep the full-floater in this one. Or would it be alright to put this full-floater in the 1/2 ton and install a semi-floater?

sevenslats Wrote:If you're towing, it'd be silly to pull out a FF. :nono:

Absolutely correct. with the abuse of plowing and the possible weght of a sander - leave that FF right where it is. I have plowed for many years with several different axles. the 14 FF is what you want.
AKMark Wrote:And you said you didn't want too many vehicles.

The plow truck kind of fell into my lap and it's hard not to want/need something different for a daily driver and for the trail. I spend hours every day now searching for "the truck" or the parts to make "the truck". Wink
sevenslats Wrote:If you're towing, it'd be silly to pull out a FF. :nono:

I also think it'd be silly to swap out a 10-bolt for a d44, for strength issues alone. Now, if it's a gear swap, a bolt pattern swap, or someting else, okay. but the labor required outweighs the strength gain, IMHO.

With the 14 bolt, I'm going to 8 bolt wheels and they come with lower gears. That's why I'm swapping out the front to a Dana 44.
ChevyKev Wrote:I actually have very little experience with a semi-float. I know that MSI has plenty of 14Bolt FF axles, but they also tend to think they are plated in gold rather than grease. However, for 35's, street use and mild off-roading, I'll agree with Mark and say the semi-float should work ok. I used to wheel with 35's on a 12 bolt axle and it held up ust fine, so a SF 14 should hold up just as well.

That's why I'm finding complete vehicles rather than just the parts. Pull the axles, t-case, tranny, and what ever parts I need. Then break out the plasma and haul the rest off. Got my eye on 2 parts trucks right now. The wife will kill me if I keep them at the house, so a little surgery and a quick trip to the dump and no hassle from the wife.
Twin_Kings Wrote:That's why I'm finding complete vehicles rather than just the parts. Pull the axles, t-case, tranny, and what ever parts I need. Then break out the plasma and haul the rest off. Got my eye on 2 parts trucks right now. The wife will kill me if I keep them at the house, so a little surgery and a quick trip to the dump and no hassle from the wife.

Careful, that's exactlyhow I started - now there are 23 vehicles here! :eek:
Twin_Kings Wrote:...Then break out the plasma ...

:troutslap: And now you're bragging about your cool tools! :lol:
Twin_Kings Wrote:With the 14 bolt, I'm going to 8 bolt wheels and they come with lower gears. That's why I'm swapping out the front to a Dana 44.

:yes:
I figured as much. swap till you get dizzy, then! :p