Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: HMMWV tires
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
It seems Goodyear finally offloaded the old style HMMWV tires on the civilian market. They used to run approx $225-$260 each w/o shipping new through any Goodyear dealer. American Tire has a pile of them for $150 each brand new from the manufacturer so guess who got new tires for the Grizzlybeaver...Big Grin

Some background for S&G's:

The original HMMWV tires are Wrangler RTII 36X12.50 - 16.5 bias ply. They are being replaced throughout the military by the Wrangler MT 37X12.50 - R16.5 radial which means the rims are getting changed out too. The new rims have twice the number of bolts holding the rim pieces together and a slightly different design on the run-flat donut.

I was waiting for sets of these to show up around town as FtWW units changed out but none seem to be turning up around Fairbanks. Ebay has loads of mounted HMMWV tires with rims. If I can get my hands on a set of those rims I wanna cut out the centers and have the centers from my old split rims welded in.

TJVigilante

Sounds like an idea...I'd go that route if I were going 8-lug.
$150 each?
too bad it's those silly 16.5 wheels.

TJVigilante

Not so silly with double beadlocks.
I am looking for a set of cheap worn out wrangler RTII's if anyone knoes where a set are. I want to slap these on the humvee when I deploy, my CTIS system will leak all the air out over the winter and I don't want to ruin my IROK's with the sitting flat for a long time. I could ask my wife to go out and air them back up, but when it's 40 below I know she won't do it.
got jackstands?

TJVigilante

Definitely. take the tires off and just put it up on blocks.
Just saw 4 tires at the Farmers Loop transfer station (dumpster site). 7:30 PM Thursday night. Only 3 left now Smile I picked up the one on black spoke wheel. Two left on rusty steel wheels and one without a wheel.
How do these tires do offroad? They seem like a pretty hard compound. Not too much void on the lugs either. I check American tire today, they have the tires, but no wheels. I coun't find any 16.5" wheels in town Sad
I have 6 of the 37" radials. Four are siped and mounted on chrome modulars and two are mounted on white spokers. I am wanting to go back to a different tire so they will be up for sale soon.

allonblack

what lug pattern are these?

TJVigilante

He runs 8x6.5.
93hummer Wrote:I am looking for a set of cheap worn out wrangler RTII's if anyone knoes where a set are. I want to slap these on the humvee when I deploy, my CTIS system will leak all the air out over the winter and I don't want to ruin my IROK's with the sitting flat for a long time. I could ask my wife to go out and air them back up, but when it's 40 below I know she won't do it.

I have 5 now with approx 10-15% tread left that I'll be replacing with new ones. 1 may have a patchable puncture. I'll sell'em to ya real dirt cheap. They're mounted now so we'd have to break them down first.

488-0282
Twin_Kings Wrote:How do these tires do offroad? They seem like a pretty hard compound. Not too much void on the lugs either. I check American tire today, they have the tires, but no wheels. I coun't find any 16.5" wheels in town Sad

I ran the p!$$ out of my current set from 50% tread down to what they are now with open diffs. They grabbed on to anything and everything and I rarely aired down. The biggest problem is that the beads won't hold if aired down because of their design. The only beadlocks I've seen in 16.5 are the DIY weld in dealeos but you're still left with the poor inner bead unless you do both and thats a lot of little bolts to torque and they're no where near 50 state legal.(hows that for a runon sentence?) I'm running 16.5 'cause of my goofy bolt pattern and Giant tire happened to have a set of 5 that fit. I'm saving up for a set of Staun internal beadlocks I'll order through Eric to solve the bead problem. On a superficial cosmetic note, I really dig keeping the military theme going on my rig as well.
Cool, let me know when you get them off, I will have to find a set of rims to put them on, I do have 2 extra 12 bolt split rims.
I'll try and get them off :eek:Confusedhifty: [the rims] this weekend. If you can picture the tread design, the middle lug that runs all the way around is approx 1/4 inch on all 5. The outer lugs are still pretty beefy. You name the price and we're good. I can just bring them to work next week. You live on post, right?

If you get a line on surplus rims with runflat donuts holler at me. :rockon:
Twin_Kings Wrote:I coun't find any 16.5" wheels in town Sad

Did you try Giant Tire. They really do have everydangthing you could imagine. They miraculously had the set of 5 I got - 16.5" x 9.75" rims with a 6 on 7.25 bolt pattern. Now that's out there. They hooked me up with a donut spare for Megan's '06 Grand Prix GXP for way less than I expected. They got a full size spare for a buddy of mine with a Ford Escape when noone else in town seemed to have anything other than a few way overpriced alloys off wrecks.

From what I've gathered, Giant won't ever be the best price in town if you can find it elsewhere, but if you can't find it anywhere else.......:errf:
93hummer - I got those RTIIs de-mounted and cleaned up a bit but I can't in good conscience take any $ for them. The tread's borderline wheelable but the sidewalls are just cracked to heck from age. They'll definitely work for your year of storage, though. 4 of them will hold air well - at least they did for the last 3+ years with me only putting air in them once a year or so. The 5th may or may not hold air - I never ran it.

How does a case of Alaskan IPA for labor and delivery sound? (thats 5 really ugly babies) I figure they're worth about a 6pack each and the 5th just goes along for the ride.
Cool, I'll definitely take you up on those tires, how much is a case of IPA? Let me know.
I've been thinking quite a bit about these tires. From what I've been reading, (bias tires in general) have flat spots on them until they warm up and wander quite a bit on the road. With our cold winters and heaved roads, how do these do year around?
93hummer Wrote:Cool, I'll definitely take you up on those tires, how much is a case of IPA? Let me know.

They usually run about $6-$8 per 6 pack depending on which store. I live in North Pole so it'd be easiest to just drop the tires off at your place when I come on post for work. Any day this week except Mon works for me. Address?
Twin_Kings Wrote:I've been thinking quite a bit about these tires. From what I've been reading, (bias tires in general) have flat spots on them until they warm up and wander quite a bit on the road. With our cold winters and heaved roads, how do these do year around?

I ran mine for a winter with open diffs. They do get a flat spot on the really cold mornings. Not really as noticeable above 0, though. I didn't notice much wandering but they pretty much suck on polished icy roads. I snow wheeled with chains 'cause the side lugs hold them so well and the chains won't shred the tires. Unstoppable. Summertime wheeling I was amazed how well they grabbed even without lockers and almost bald.
925 Golovin Court, used to be 925 Layette court a week ago....Birchwood renamed the streets. How about Friday?

As far as bias tires and flat spotting, I just slightly overinflate mine and the flat spots aren't noticeable. The wrangler RTII's have no siping, I would definitely sipe them for winter use. My IRoks have a lot of siping and I never had a traction problem even on the slickest ice.
Friday works for me. What time's good for you? I'm off work at 1500?

When I get the new ones I may have all the middle lugs siped and leave the big outer lugs solid. Any thoughts?
siped or grooved?
sevenslats Wrote:siped or grooved?
Yes.
Pages: 1 2