Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: New rig???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My next assignment at this time is Beale AFB, which is about one hour north of Sacramento, CA. I was stationed there from 98-2000, so going back should be interesting. I'm happy, as I didn't want to go back to the sandbox of DM, and gators in housing at Moody AFB didn't exactly fill me with confidence.

However, I've been thinking. (Yes, I just set the smoke alarms off)

I will probably Ferry two of our vehicles (minivan and the 91 Burb if we can fix it) as it's only a day or two drive from the port in WA to Beale, and that's easy. Which leaves me with one vehicle I can ship.

I promised the FSJ to Tony, and I intend to keep that promise. It would be cool to build, but the Jeep bug finally has let go of me, and that's okay.

I was tempted to check out a 77 Scout II down in Wasilla, or an older Bronco here, but I'm not sure either of those are what I'm wanting. I'd rather have fuel injection, or a Diesel. Carbs are okay, but every one I've ever had, except my Trans Am, stalled whenever it felt like it. I hate it when the die for no apparent reason. I also know that there's lots of rock crawling near Beale and I need to be able to take angles without stalling which is another issue with carbs from time to time.

There are a few other ideas I'm thinking of, but would like some other opinions as well. Would you guys build a rig (at least start the process) up here and ship with plans to finish down there? I want to wheel a few more times before I leave in Oct. I just want to know what you guys would do in my shoes.
As much as I'd like to say build it here, it could be more cost effective to build it in the lower 48. If you do happen to come across a rig that you have to have then go for it but I'd just start saving and wait. That will give you time to figure out what you want and how you want to build it. Cars and parts are much cheaper in the 48. If you happen to come across the perfect rig while you are still up here then buy it but I would not go looking. You can always jump in with someone else to go on a trip. That is what I'd do. The last thing i'd want is something else to worry about if I was fixing to leave.

If you want to wheel real bad for the remaining time you have just buy a cheep wheeler and go with it. Look at that bronco the Kelly has posted. You can wheel it till the wheels fall off and your only out a little bit. Maybe talk to Mel about the yota. Their are a few rigs around for cheap that you can beat up and part out as your time gets closer. You don't have to waist a bunch of money to build something nice or a super trail maching to have fun for your last few months. If oyu have to wheel find a cheap rig, some cheap tires and maybe if you feel good a lunch box locker and off you go. You can do it for a 1000 or so have fun then get rid of it. It all comes down to how much cash you want to spend for 6 months of fun.
I agree 100% with the first paragraph.

not so sure I'd have said the second, but it's something to consider definately.