Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Rear End Clunk?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Thats about the only way I can explain it, if I turn to the left or right going around a corner I will hear a clunk in the pass side rear of my TJ. I've crawled under it 2-3 times trying to move things and checking the tightness of the bolts and everything is good. Its driving me nuts because it just started doing this about 1 month ago and it seems to be getting worse. Any Idea what it might be?
1. Check lug nut torque. :doh: Sounds stupid but I've seen it happen to many folks. This is also that can be just a bit off and you won't notice it by simply looking, yet will result in a clunking noise.

2. Turn up radio and ignore, problems usually fix themselves, or at least will eventually become VERY apparent to what is wrong. Big Grin
Take Jimmy Hoffa out of the trunk.
Seriously, this isn't the type of problem one person can diagnose.
Have a helper monkey rock the vehicle side-to-side while you inspect. Check your track bar, your shocks, underneath the seat...
If that doesn't duplicate the noise, jack up the Jeep and shake the right rear tire. see if anything moves.
Tom?
Any fix on this?

2T2

2. Turn up radio and ignore, problems usually fix themselves, or at least will eventually become VERY apparent to what is wrong. Big Grin[/quote]

you chevy guys do that too LOL
The only thing I can think of after crawling around under it again is it might be the adjustable track bar. Because the rear axle is rotated for the pinion angle it looks like it's binding in the frame mount and it might move just enough to slap the bracket to cause the clunk. When I get some money saved up I'm going to see about cutting the bracket on the axle and having it relocated to help with the bind.
Don't need much money. One can be made fairly easily. Either reuse the one you have if cut off right or some scrap steel and some welding.