Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: pulling after new tires installed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Ronster

I have a pretty good pull to the left ever sense I had the new tires put on. I pulled all 4, checked spacers, even swapped right to left, and still have the same problem. I checked the toe in, track bar, sway bar, and tie rod and all connections from the steering down. From a hand turning inspectin on the brakes, it does'nt seem like they are dragging, so what am I missing?

akdsmer

Ronster Wrote:I have a pretty good pull to the left ever sense I had the new tires put on. I pulled all 4, checked spacers, even swapped right to left, and still have the same problem. I checked the toe in, track bar, sway bar, and tie rod and all connections from the steering down. From a hand turning inspectin on the brakes, it does'nt seem like they are dragging, so what am I missing?

If you have swapped them right to left and everything is tight, it's likely in the alignment.

naturalbornmudder

I would go with alignment and pay attention to the caster.
x3

ziggy

did you rotate the rears? Was there a pull before the tire swap?

Ronster

yep, I changed the rears as well. There was no pull prior to the tire swap, which lead me to believe it had to do with the tires. Next, I looked at the brakes, thinking that I had something dragging causing this, but it they looked fine as well.
Doesn't everyone get an alignment after buying new tires?

TJVigilante

I only get alignments when I notice stuff like this...

I'm surprised with all the junk I put my Jeep through that it still tracks straight.
I usually do my own alignments, except for caster. What kills me is that the shops I took my ZJ to for alignments would always adjust it to the point it would death wobble, and I'd have to kick them to put less caster in it so that it would not. Higher caster angle = more stable and less DW, less caster likes to dart, but no DW. I replaced everything up front and found that 4 degrees was perfect. 7 is what the shops always put in it.
TJVigilante Wrote:I only get alignments when I notice stuff like this...

I'm surprised with all the junk I put my Jeep through that it still tracks straight.

Just so you know a vehicle can still track straight and have the alignment be out. My front tires are wearing funny because the alignment is out but it still tracks straight.

Ronster

ajpthng Wrote:Just so you know a vehicle can still track straight and have the alignment be out. My front tires are wearing funny because the alignment is out but it still tracks straight.

Thats usually the Toe in alignment which I had already done. I dunno, it just dosent make sense that it happened with new tires, but then again, nothing else changed :confused:

justimpact

It is possible to have tires be the cause, and pull due to diffreances in thickness, and imprefections in the tire that can not be seen. Seekins has a road force machine that measures the amount of pull each tire has and where to mount them on the vehicle to decrease the amount of pull. Who installed your tires? and do they have such tipe of machine? If not seekins could do it for you I dont know the cost off hand.
You said your breaks are fine? My Pass caliper was hanging up bad when it would get warm and I would have a heck of a time using the breaks because it would dart to the left side, that was the one that worked.

I don't know ron, Hope you find out what it is.
Ronster Wrote:A big box containing several other boxes

A TJ with a master plan ahead

Waterproofing

a new air source

a traction device

a club member smiling

a Fair full of "strange" people

the possible source of my pulling

nice days ahead

spit it out! what's the fix?

Ronster

left rear wheel bearing :myself: I got back from base today and it was pulling bad. Jacked up the left rear and now I have a bad screech. I pulled the hub last night and checked the e brake and disc's, both were good, but I noticed that I still had some binding. From my memory, this is all thats left...
Sounds like you might have found the culprit. Drive it a little and the axle should be smokin' hot at the bad bearing while the others should be much cooler.

akdsmer

Ronster Wrote:left rear wheel bearing :myself: I got back from base today and it was pulling bad. Jacked up the left rear and now I have a bad screech. I pulled the hub last night and checked the e brake and disc's, both were good, but I noticed that I still had some binding. From my memory, this is all thats left...

Are you sure the brakes are not being applied by a bad/sticking brake caliper or such? Just making sure...

Ronster

akdsmer Wrote:Are you sure the brakes are not being applied by a bad/sticking brake caliper or such? Just making sure...

I backed off the pressure of the ebrake when I got home, and pulled the caliper completely of the rotor. I put everything back, except the brake caliper and I still had the binding and screeching noise. I didnt pull the bearing out to inspect it because I didnt have anything to run to napa with if it were in fact bad. I plan on pulling it apart tomorrow evening, maybe picking up a set of bearings just in case (might as well change both of them).