Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Locker suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am currently running a spool in the front axle ( it was in when I bought the axle) and I want to change it out, I have three options I am considering,

1. buying an open carrier, installing an Aussie locker

2. going with a Detroit locker (I have one in the rear axle and love it)

3. going with an ARB

the first choice is the easiest on the wallet and I have had good luck with Aussie lockers in the past, it is also the weakest and I am wondering how it would act on ice

the second choice is a little more expensive but IMO the strongest choice and the Detroit locker I have in the rear axle I have no issues with it being loud, chirping, or anything, I don't know its there till its go time, but again i don't know how it will be in the winter (ice)

the third choice is well over a thousand dollars after install and would definitely be the most convenient being able to lock and unlock, while the arb is very strong i don't think it is as strong as a Detroit locker, also i have heard few bad things about them not wanting to work in the winter. I have never experienced this it is hear say to me

so............

who thinks what?
I would do the selectable locker up front for the sole reason of winter driving.
I've been runing ARB's front and rear for 5 years now Never had an issue with cold weather. Just don't use the blue line that comes with it. I've broken many axles with no damage to the diffs.

naturalbornmudder

Do you have lock-out hubs? If so, then the way to go is the Aussie, IMO. If you don't, then you should go ARB, IMO.

Is it a DD?

I tried one time to drive Lawson's jeep with 4wd engaged and his front locker threw me all over the road in the winter time. Depending on your rig, if driving in 2wd most of the winter is an option, then you are open to either. With my TJ, thw 2.5 had no power, the MTR's had plenty of winter traction, and it was geared lower, so I could drive in 2wd most all the winter.
Also if your thinking about a selectable locker their is also OX lockers.

Ronster

like stated before, if your gong with an ARB, go with a heavier duty air line. Another added benefit to the ARB is adding an onboard air source. I would go with a selecable in the front due to winter driving, be it ARB or OX, you cant go wrong. It all depends on how much your going to drive it in the winter though.
naturalbornmudder Wrote:Do you have lock-out hubs? If so, then the way to go is the Aussie, IMO. If you don't, then you should go ARB, IMO.

Is it a DD?

It is not a DD but I like to drive it as much as possable, yes it has front locking hubs

I hate the lost turning radius on the trail that comes with a spool in the front, someone told me I could get out and unlock one hub but that would be a pain in the arse, also would nt it be hard on the drive train?

akdsmer

You can also look into the electric lockers by Eaton and Auburn as well. I am planning on running one that shifts between open and locked as opposed to one that is limited slip to locked. That should help the steering characteristics a bunch. Plush no cables to go out of adjustment, and no air lines to leak. Just use good arctic-grade wiring and secure it properly and you are ready to go.
I haven't heard much good about the Auburn ones, the Eaton ones have good marks though. I have a good friend I trust get Auburn to give him his money back after he broke two in a D44 running 33's in his TJ. He cracked the first one, so that the right axle shaft popped and made us think he blew an axle shaft. The second one quit working due to a problem with the electronics.

I've played with an Eaton, it was very nice. I still like the OX and ARB better though. OX, because you get a strong diff cover and one of the toughest lockers out there. Adjustment of the cable is easy and no big deal. ARB's are slick and I like them because you then have on-board air, just get stronger air lines and you are good to go.

If I had money for any of these, I would get one for the K-5 when I put the 3/4 tons underneath it in a few weeks.