Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: The New 2007 Jeep
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

the_ronster

I now some of you have already seen a few pictures, but check out the new 2007 Jeep at   

http://jweb.jrations.com/07wrglr/07wrglr_2.php

It has an automatic swaybar disconnect system (electronic), and a modular hardtop (you can take panels off to run T-tops, or Bikini).

Im not a big fan of the skidplates, but I am sure you could work with it

Advent

Quote:As for steering, the Wrangler still doesn’t get rack-and-pinion

Gee, I wonder why that is? :Smile
Kinda looks like a Jeep, but would seem they are trying too hard to make everything ergonomic and aerodynamic at the same time. It's a Jeep. They've been shaped like a brick for the last 50 years....why change it now?? You want to round corners and make things more appealing? Change the Commander and the Grand Cherokee back the way they were.

[/soapbox]

michaeljr5

Looks like a jeep. :-\ What's with the plastic bumpers?

the_ronster

I really dont like the full plastic fender flares. I guess itw ould make it easy to flat fender though...

Buckeye

I wont be driving one.......

However I do like the compartment in the back
shoulda' called it a wrangler h3 LOL

TJVigilante

Jeep is really not listening to the offroad crowd. the Wrangler X was one of the more popular models to buy for offroading because of its barebones price, top line hardware(D44, 6 speed, 4.0) and nothing much else.
I heard about it, but hadn't seen it until 10 minutes ago. My take....

Wheel-base and width stretches = Good thing
Modular Hardtop options = Pretty Cool
Fenders/Flares = Easier to do tube ones
New Interior = Too Retro for me
3.7L = Saw it coming... don't like it.
SA = Glad they lose their minds and go with IFS
TK name = Another one loses the 'J' - why??? It's tradition

At least it still resembles a TJ... want to see one in person to make final opinions. Thanks for the link.

naturalbornmudder

I am violently opposed to some of the changes.

Taking away the 4.0L? That is a foul. What kind of idiot takes a long standing tradition of a motor, the longest lasting production motor ever made mileage wise, comparable to the 300/6 Ford and the Toyota 2.4L and just get rid of it for a motor that has only been in production for 4 years? I bet the oldest motor in the inventory barely has 100K on it, how do they know it'll last? My first XJ had 247K on it when I bought it, I sold it with 274K to a guy who drove it until he totaled it at 313K on the original motor. Ya, we changed the rear main seal a few times, but the point is... >Sad

D/C can't lay off the cheap arse Dana 35. Get a clue!

I like the body design, minus the libby-like grille.

Interior looks nice.

akjeep

naturalbornmudder Wrote:Taking away the 4.0L? That is a foul. What kind of idiot takes a long standing tradition of a motor, the longest lasting production motor ever made mileage wise, comparable to the 300/6 Ford and the Toyota 2.4L and just get rid of it for a motor that has only been in production for 4 years? I bet the oldest motor in the inventory barely has 100K on it, how do they know it'll last? My first XJ had 247K on it when I bought it, I sold it with 274K to a guy who drove it until he totaled it at 313K on the original motor. Ya, we changed the rear main seal a few times, but the point is... >Sad

Planned obsolecence my friend. From thier point of view, you should have had to buy three of thier products in the amount of time you and the other owners drove that XJ. They cannot make money if they sell you a car that lasts forever. If they make one that needs repairs every 30-40k miles, you'll either hae to buy the dealer-only parts to keep it on the road or you'll get sick of it and buy something else. They still hae not figured out that brand name loyalty only goes so far, and eventually you'll buy from their competition.
When I parked my CJ last fall I was at 314,000 miles. I may run that motor for a few more years or drop in a replacement, but the only way you'll see me in a NEW vehical is if I win it. They can make them all fancy and comfy and try to entice people with all their bells and whistles, but mark my words - someone will show up on the scene offering a bare-bones, nothing-fancy, cheap, reliable vehical and the big manufacurers will be sunk. That said, this morning I was looking over the new chinese autos that will hit the US market this fall. Couldn't get a lot of detailed info, but they look fairly sharp, not too extravagant. Knowing the Chinese, they'll be cheap, no-frills, and bare-bones. Just have to see how reliable they are.

Things to make you go Hmmmm.......
:-\

TJVigilante

The way I see it is that 75% of Jeep owners don't do anything more than mall crawl in their Jeeps, even wranglers. DCX was smart enough to keep it SFA but is giving it a more street-friendly engine. The 4.0, although lasting forever, just didn't have the gumption to handle daily driver street-only duty. Fuel mileage was horrible, it's loud, raw...Jeep worthy to us but not very appealing to little fancy-pants street queen wanting something trendy and eye-catching. I guess they figured that most 4-wheelers would just buy an older vehicle and build it so they don't have to worry about scratching up a brand new one on the trail, so they can focus more on the other 75-80% of their customer base, the ones who actually give the corporation money instead of aftermarket parts manufacturers and used vehicle owners.

akjeep

TJVigilante Wrote:The way I see it is that 75% of Jeep owners don't do anything more than mall crawl in their Jeeps, even wranglers. DCX was smart enough to keep it SFA but is giving it a more street-friendly engine. The 4.0, although lasting forever, just didn't have the gumption to handle daily driver street-only duty. Fuel mileage was horrible, it's loud, raw...Jeep worthy to us but not very appealing to little fancy-pants street queen wanting something trendy and eye-catching. I guess they figured that most 4-wheelers would just buy an older vehicle and build it so they don't have to worry about scratching up a brand new one on the trail, so they can focus more on the other 75-80% of their customer base, the ones who actually give the corporation money instead of aftermarket parts manufacturers and used vehicle owners.

This is why Ford is haing such a hard time getting the new Broncos out....

Buckeye

they outta just make it mall-rated instead of trail rated...

anyway toyota is coming back out with the FJ cruiser..

I still drive Jeeps, Wrangler and a Grand Cherokee

TJVigilante

If I had more money than I really need, I'd buy one of those and build it, because I like the looks of it. If they put the diesel into it, that's even better. 32" tires, still not bad, rather would see 33's on 15 or 16" wheels as an option. I wonder if 15" wheels would fit around the stock brakes? I'm sure they would.

akjeep

Got a better look at the little Chinese car today.
Company's called Geely.
yup, it's pretty bare-bones.  They say it'll sell for under 10k.

gamble71

well, known it's been coming for quite some time. It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but still not something I'd put money into. I decided a long time ago, if I were to buy a jeep it would have to be a used one as I knew D/C would mess it up sooner or later. It's till not ruined, but it's starting to loose it's appeal. If you think about it, it's the only jeep left with a SFA, so be grateful for that.

TJVigilante

this coming from someone who lifted a Ford Exploder..... Wink

gamble71

TJVigilante Wrote:this coming from someone who lifted a Ford Exploder..... Wink

somebody had to :laugh:
Wow. DC really did it this time. IS this some sort of Liberty-H3 love child? The interior looks too much like a German car in my eyes, and somehow this Wrangler looks more like a toy than something you'd drive (or wheel).

I guess this is good bye to the old faithful 4.0L . I figured its end was near, but not quite this soon.

On a more positive note, that rear cargo compartment is kinda neat and I'm also glad they didn't dump the idea of solid axles. And the upgrade to the NV241 transfer case? Good move.

Other thoughts: Electronic stability program standard? Sorry. I'd rather do the driving than let electronics take the 'fun' away from me. And they STILL use the D30/35 axles? No thanks.

Since I can't afford a new Unlimited right now, and they're getting rid of the current TJ platform after the '06 model year, my next new 4x4 will more than likely be a Toyota Tacoma. I never thought I'd go back to being a Toyota guy again. Funny how things change, eh?

Buckeye

When I first saw the Jeep I didnt really like it. And I was kind of upset they were chaning it. Then I kinda of forgot about it. Then read this thread again, and Im kind of glad they changed it. I still like my TJ better and always will. But Im glad they are changing it. If I want a a TJ that looks like mine 10 years from now then I will buy a used one and more than likely replace everything in it anyway.

However, they need to get stronger axles, and offer a more powerful engine, as an option, and lockers. And Im not talking about a Rubicon, I just think you should be able to pick what options you want with your vechicle no matter what model.

ya'll can keep your new fangled jeep type thingies. I'll stick with my ol' yj...

Chetnak

mousee Wrote:ya'll can keep your new fangled jeep type thingies. I'll stick with my ol' yj...

I'm with Damien YJ or NO WAY haha.
My YJ didn't like inclines or declines, or vacuum for that matter.  I went through five carbs and it still ran like crap. 

I'm torn by the 07 Wrangler, it looks okay, but am unsure of things. The interior reminded me of a PT cruiser for some reason.

Saw an H3 on 32's go further than a New Ruby LJ on 31's this weekend.  Made the Ruby owner very mad.  I should mention the Ruby owner has lots of wheelin' experience and the H3 owner was on his first run.  We were climbing out of a dried up mud hole and I made it without a problem, the H3 climbed out more than pegging the clinometer in the cab, and the Ruby got stuck on his belly skid and had to be towed off because even with both axles locked he couldn't budge.

Made me wonder why they made the belly skid soooo low on that. 
Airmanwoody Wrote:My YJ didn't like inclines or declines, or vacuum for that matter.  I went through five carbs and it still ran like crap. 

three words... fuel injection baby!

TJVigilante

may as well just get a TJ then.Big Grin
Pages: 1 2