Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Help No Breaks!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well I am very frustrated now, it seems like every dang thing on my heap is fighting me to the death....

When I replaced the hubs and rotors I decided to go ahead and replace the whole brake system up front so I put on new calipers, pads, brake lines, I had an issue with a defective brake line but the folks at Alaska rubber and rigging made it right, now my problem, I bled the brakes, and have full pedal when the jeep is shut off but when I start the jeep the first pump the pedal goes to the floor, I have absolutely no brakes when the engine is running, I have bleed the crap out of the brakes and have no air bubbles at all come out of either the front and rear bleeder valves, before i replace everything the brakes worked fine. Any suggestions?
Sounds like a problem with the master cylinder, if it only happens with the engine running.

I'd double check all your vacuum lines as well, amazing how much a difference those buggars can make.

Ronster

what year is your jeep?
the jeep is a 94 YJ but the front axle is out of a 78 cherokee cheif and the rear axle is outta an 81 f150

Ronster

sent you a link. Its not exacltly the same, but same principal.

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

LOL see if you have the calipers on the wrong sides, yes this is possible i have seen it before.
ARCTIC_EXPRESS Wrote:LOL see if you have the calipers on the wrong sides, yes this is possible i have seen it before.

I didn't even remember that until you reminded me. I've seen it happen more than once, to the same poor Ford nut. (No it wasn't in Alaska)

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

yeh well this ford nut did it to LOL also had to have justin bring a newgen from work and bleed the abs on it.

justimpact

do you have ABS brakes?
ARCTIC_EXPRESS Wrote:LOL see if you have the calipers on the wrong sides, yes this is possible i have seen it before.

What do you mean?
justimpact Wrote:do you have ABS brakes?

no

justimpact

upside down the bleeder should be at the top of the calipar it is possible to get the left and righ swaped on accident

akdsmer

From your post it looks like you didn't replace the master cylinder. If the fluid was allowed to escape your FIRST bleed is to bleed the master cylinder. The best way is with a bleeder kit that allows you to screw into the outlets and run hose back into the master. Plastic and cheap at NAPA. Then work the rest of the bleeding.
akdsmer Wrote:From your post it looks like you didn't replace the master cylinder. If the fluid was allowed to escape your FIRST bleed is to bleed the master cylinder. The best way is with a bleeder kit that allows you to screw into the outlets and run hose back into the master. Plastic and cheap at NAPA. Then work the rest of the bleeding.

OK the brakes are working now, I had the calipers on the wrong side, I swapped them and Darrick came by and helped me bleed the brakes, I got brakes now, i probably should still bleed the master cylinder but that will come after the ride.
Glad you figured it out.
We sure put them to the test today coming down a big hill with loose rock at Faribanks Creek.
Bulldog Wrote:We sure put them to the test today coming down a big hill with loose rock at Fairbanks Creek.

You can say that again! :eek:

they still have air in them somewhere and I need to look into a bigger distribution block, but the held when I needed them to the most today.