Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Convert Dana 60 & 14 BFF to 6 on 5.5"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am about to tear into my front axle to see what I broke on my 1987 1/2 ton. It's probably the hub and the stub shaft. I know the stock 10 bolts aren't going to hold up to much wheeling. I need gears and traction aids in both front and rear and I should upgrade the axles to cromo to prevent future breaks.

I have a Dana 60 and a 14 bolt full float that I could install instead of repairing and upgrading the 10 bolts. The only problem is: I have a lot of money tied up into the wheels and tires that are 6 on 5.5". Has anyone converted Dana 60's and 14 BFF to 6 on 5.5"? Is it affordable or should I just plan on buying 8 on 6.5" wheels? My 6 on 5.5" wheels are 18" so they'll clear the Dana 60's with no problems.
Searched Pirate4x4?
Ballavista has a bible on 14-bolts. If it could be done, it'll be in there.
I haven't heard of anyone doing this, but doesn't mean it can't / hasn't been done.

aren't there wheele spacers that change the bolt patterns?
I looked into this once, the 14FF didn't have any way to switch. The 14SF would though, as it was used behind 6.5TD's in the 90's Chevy 1/2 tons with that pattern.

I hate to say it, but it might be easier to sell the rims. Another thing to consider, what size tires are they again? The 14FF is huge as is the 60 front. By that I'm meaning how large the ring gears are and how much they hang down in comparison to your 10 bolts. You need larger tires just to regain ground clearance with these.

Just somthing to consider.
AKMark Wrote:I looked into this once, the 14FF didn't have any way to switch. The 14SF would though, as it was used behind 6.5TD's in the 90's Chevy 1/2 tons with that pattern.

I hate to say it, but it might be easier to sell the rims. Another thing to consider, what size tires are they again? The 14FF is huge as is the 60 front. By that I'm meaning how large the ring gears are and how much they hang down in comparison to your 10 bolts. You need larger tires just to regain ground clearance with these.

Just somthing to consider.

I do have a 14 BSF, but it's 8 on 6.5" also.

I currently only have 33's. I should have gone 35's, but was worried about breaking the 1/2 ton gear. I'd love to go with 35" to 37" on this truck.

From what I've found so far, it's about $1,100 + frieght to convert the D60, plus what ever I have to do to the 14 BSF. It may just be best to keep the 1/2 ton gear for now and upgrade as it breaks.
Bulldog Wrote:...From what I've found so far, it's about $1,100 + frieght to convert the D60...

got a link?
It's a Dynatrac kit http://www.tellico4x4.com/index.php/cPat...9fbc53ca07

The complete kit sells for $1085 which includes bearings, calipers, caliper brackets etc...

I could just the hub/rotor assemblies for $650, but not sure what old parts I'd need from my half ton and 1 ton gear.
Looks cheaper to get new wheels and use the one ton axle.
What are you using the 1/2 ton for anyway? If it is strictly a DD I would just fix the 10 bolt as they are dirt cheap and keep on driving it. If this is going to be your next trail rig, by all means throw the one ton gear under it.
It is a DD, but I want it trail ready. I have been wanting to let my son drive one truck and I the other on trail rides. There are some trails I've wanted to explore, perfect time for some father and son bonding.
Bulldog Wrote:It is a DD, but I want it trail ready. I have been wanting to let my son drive one truck and I the other on trail rides. There are some trails I've wanted to explore, perfect time for some father and son bonding.

OK, now it's all making sense, I look forward to the days when my son is old enough to help me build and wheel his own first truck or Jeep. If you and your son really love those wheels, I would build up the 10 bolts with some Chromoly shafts. I know it sounds silly to build a 10 bolt, but they should be plenty for 33's. I would give Off Road Design a call, they seem to be the chevy axle experts http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/cmf...shafts.htm

I Googled aroud and found many wheel adapaters, but none for 6 to 8 lug. You may have to have them custom made.
It's tough to change the number of lugs. bolt circle, yeah. but from 6 to 8 wouldn't be easy.

Put up a for sale ad for the wheels. You never know...