Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Homepage Poll: If you were planning to re-paint your trail rig
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If you were planning to re-paint your trail rig:

Thanks to Kev for the question.
I've touched up the paint on my TJ several times with krylon. No dent pulling at all. It's futile.
I'd definitely pull the worst dents out a bit (being able to once again mount my tail-light in it's original position would be a start) and cut off the rust - then paint. No need to get too fancy, as more trail damage will occur.

BTW - you're welcome.

TJVigilante

sand and paint...pulling dents tends to make it look worse in the end...and it's a trail rig so who cares?

akdsmer

A complete job because:

"Before" pics are always needed.
It's good practice for your next car project.
The supplies are already paid for.
It's a good way to see who are your friends.
It's a matter of pride.
someone needs to use the hugger orange!
I have lots of spare time...Rolleyes
Oh jeez. Not that orange paint again. WHY won't' it DIE?!

akdsmer

sevenslats Wrote:Oh jeez. Not that orange paint again. WHY won't' it DIE?!

If someone has a portable compressor and wants to accompany me on a DRIVE-BY tonight in north pole, let me know. I have an idea on how to use this paint up...
I say do the body work. If I'm going to paint it then I'm going to do alot of other work first. I'd hate to flat fender the front, trim the back and then leave a big dent in the door or tub. It's a trail rig but you never know who you will meet on the way to the trail and if you can't make it up the trail you might as well look good sitting at the bottom Big Grin
akdsmer Wrote:someone needs to use the hugger orange!

HA you stole my Idea, my rig will eventually be Hugger Orange, I just got to buy tube fenders and make some crusher corners first:twisted:
I kinda like that color. I was going to get it from Nate, but I was to slow.
akdsmer Wrote:If someone has a portable compressor and wants to accompany me on a DRIVE-BY tonight in north pole, let me know. I have an idea on how to use this paint up...

Stay away from my truckBig Grin
Thank goodness my jeep isn't in NP at the moment.
:topic:

Kelly, will you be pulling out the dents first?

:thefinger:

akdsmer

sevenslats Wrote::topic:

Kelly, will you be pulling out the dents first?

:thefinger:

Perhaps, I spook easy, so if I hear a noise, you may not even get good coverage on the paint.
I took option 2. Just knock out the dents that affect function (like mounting lights or glass or sealing weather strips) but why spend much time making it pretty. Paint is then just to keep rust at bay for vehicle longevity sake, not aesthetics. (I'm talking rattlecan.) I cringed and winced at my first few paint scrapes on the '06 but I'm pretty much over that by now. It taught me, though, that if I did painstakingly straighten, prep, and paint a rig to be showroom clean(that's assuming I had any talent in that area), I'd never want to wheel the thing.

The grizzlybeaver will eventually get shot with Gillespie military rattlecan. Pretty affordable for a DIY paint job, and really easy to touch-up. The best part is it will look authentic.
GOLD??!?!?

oh nate must have just voted...:tease:

no, no, no!
allow me,...

:troutslap:
pull the worst dents, and do just a cheep paint job. nothing fancy. its just going to get costum pinstriping the first trail it hits any way. no pavement princes for me. thats what mucles cars and bikes are for.Big Grin

trailkilla

nah fix it then paint it. Makes all that much more fun for a trip down memory lane while you are pulling a dent or two out. By the way I have a 74 Jeep CJ 5 that I would love to come home to orange.:whistle:
Really, I am not joking.
akdsmer Wrote:If someone has a portable compressor and wants to accompany me on a DRIVE-BY tonight in north pole, let me know. I have an idea on how to use this paint up...

I live in Northpole I can give you a hand!
um... check the date on this post

TJVigilante

Gives me a reason to post a photochop of Lil' T I made a while back:

[Image: pink.jpg]

On a more serious note I think this would look pretty good on my Jeep:
[Image: red.jpg]
ZMonster Wrote:um... check the date on this post

haha maybe i should have checked that

Stumblinman

Where's the sawzall/spray can option?
I don't see the "Bedliner" option on there so I'm not voting. I plan on amputating the rust then either a crappy spray can old ford blue or getting some rhino liner or something.

And if anyone has done that before let me know what one you recommend

OneWeakXJ

Sand and rattle can!

Mr Anderson

Why pop the dents out?? Chicks dig scars!!!
Or Cut the dents out, weld on sheet metal to cover the hole and spray paint to make it "Pretty"!

I suppose the ultimate defense against dents would be to make all of your body panels out of 1/4 or 1/2 inch steel plate. But then you would have to have a jeep with a big old diesel in it just to keep it moving. Kinda top heavy though. Eh, might as well just buy a surplus soviet tank. That would be cool!
Pages: 1 2