Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: gearing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have never installed gears but with going bigger on the tires i think it is definitely time to consider it. I am looking for any and all advice on how to figure out the right size of gear,right brand, how hard are they to install, etc. So any advice would be greatly appreciated.Big Grin

Ronster

for the gear ratio, look here: http://www.arcticoffroadsupply.com/SuperiorGears.html

I would have someone do it (like Knights Truck Farm) if you have never done gears before though.
Knights Truck Farm isnt that kevin
Yes it is.

Gears are more involved that you realize. You need a few special tools to swap bearings, check preload, etc.

Let's just say I did my own once without the right tools, and got everything together, but didn't know you had to set preload or anything. That 10 bolt didn't last long, but it was fun. I was only 18 and learned a lesson, it's easier to swap a rear end, than to regear. At least I was working at a junkyard at the time and it was a junkyard truck that we took the gears from and a junkyard car that we put the gears in, so I wasn't out any money.

Paying to do gears isn't fun, but neither is a destroyed rear axle.

Ronster

hillbillydodge Wrote:Knights Truck Farm isnt that kevin

KTF is much bigger than just one man Big Grin

If truth be told, Im not sure he is a man, most people say he's a machine
Talked with Hillbilly on the phone.

I think you'll be the happiest with the 4.56's

I also need to check out that calculator link.

And thanks for the comments.
I have a gear calculator that I made for my own use. You can enter the speed and transmission ratio and it calculated for a list of tire sizes and gears. I anyone you like it pm me you email and I can send it to you. Or if someone knows if I can upload and excel file on the website I will do that.
Ronster Wrote:for the gear ratio, look here: http://www.arcticoffroadsupply.com/SuperiorGears.html

I would have someone do it (like Knights Truck Farm) if you have never done gears before though.

It only goes up to 37". I need a gear chart for a TRUCK.Big Grin
Sent it to your email. It should work up to a 53 inch tire.