Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: TJ hard top suggestions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am looking at purchasing a Jeep TJ for a daily driver, mild off-road vehicle. Almost all of the rigs I saw had soft tops, some in really bad condition. Looks like I'll have to buy a hard top if I get one of these vehicles. I've seen some used ones for $600 before. If I can find a used one, how much is a new one? Where would the best place to buy one be? Are there different types, 1-piece or 2-piece, that I should look at? Any one brand in particular better than others, why?

FWIW, I need to get a Jeep with a automatic so that my wife can drive it in case of problems with her truck or if my daughter needs it. I am looking for a Rubicon model because of gears and lockers. I only plan on running 33's on this because the wife/daughter may drive it time to time.
another one about to be infected with the sickness known as Jeep
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

You will love it
my yj had a 2 piece and I really liked that over the 1 piece ones

Ronster

The best brand on the market is Best Top, but they are pricey. If you can get your hands on a used factory top and carpet it like Darek did you would be in good shape. Whats wrong with the current tops?
One I looked at yesterday had some rips (may have been cracks) about 2" to 3" along the edges where the supports are. I'm going back to look at them today in better light.
best top sail cloth is the best soft top but they run about 600.00 plus shipping, but they are almost as quiet as a hard top and last twice as long as the others
if you want to go with a new hard top, check with anthony regarding the shipping because that is what's going to hurt the most. a two piece does seem like more fun too. if you go used top separate from the jeep purchase, be careful with year models as there might be a difference in attachment points. http://www.4wheelparts.com is carried by anthony (ziggy) with american tire and auto. there was mention of a used rubicon at one of the dealers. but don't snubb a stick, they're easy to learn and much more fun on the road, not so fun crawling.
gijoey Wrote:not so fun crawling.

how would you know? no such thing as crawling with open diffs and 3.07's young grasshopper, wait till u get some lockers, lower gears and a hand throttle then you might change your opinion Big Grin
BULLDOG,

do you have anyone in the lower 48 that would be willing to ship stuff up here for you?

http://www.4wd.com

has a special for free shipping, which is never for ak, but could be worth the trouble if you did want to get a new top.

as for you mister angler... lockers and gears makes it fun and easier, just saying that manual is not as easy for off road from what i'm reading, but not impossible. just takes a bit more effort.
Be careful on the brand of aftermarket hard tops, my old boss got some from some company and none of them fit with the factory doors. The mold they used was warped.
There is someone on ak4x4network with a hard top that want's to trade for a soft top + some cash.

Ronster

I can get it here through my span alaska account, but it would be a bit more than what I usually pay due to its size. If you decide to go that route, let me know.