Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: So you wanna be a offroader? NEWBIES READ THIS!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought it would be good to make a post for the newbies to the sport to offer advice and lessons learned from some of the more experienced wheelers out there, I don't profess to know all about 4 wheeling but have picked up a few things over the last 10 years that may be of use to out new prospects some of who have just bought their first rig and are looking to start modding it. Please contribute to this post if you feel you can help out.

First thing is to remember that you are going offroad and you can potentially damage your vehicle..

Second, is to bring a good attitude... nobody likes a whiner and it can ruin a ride for some people.

Third.. RECOVERY POINTS! I don't care how good of a driver you are, or how well your rig is built, you will eventually get stuck(or roll) and need to be recovered...Also keep a good stock of recovery equipment in your rig.Tow straps, Tree savers, Shackles, and Snatch blocks should be a part of everyones "Trail Kit".

Fourth.. Have a Trail Kit.. In this kit, you should keep a first aid kit, a small selection of basic tools, rain poncho and your recovery gear.

Fifth... COME PREPARED!... Make sure your rig is built capable enough to handle the trails you are wanting to run, also make sure your driving abilities are up to the skill required of that trail. Also make sure that you have brought any supplies that you may need for the day(food, drinks, meds, toilet paper [Image: icon_confused.gif] )

Sixth...When modifying your rig, I adhere to the build it right, or build it twice philosophy.. Make an attack plan of what you want your rig to be, and build it for the terrain that it will see the most usage on(don't build a mud bogger to go rock crawling etc.).Don't cut corners, as it will come back to haunt you. Make educated and researched decisions(google is such a great thing) on what kind of mods you want done to your rig, and how far you want it to go..

Seventh dont go crazy trying to build the biggest baddest rig in the club, take it slow and make good decisions, have fun and dont get burnt out.

And last but not least... LISTEN! To your spotters or Trail boss while on the trail..You can very easily turn a fun trail ride into a bad experience for everyone with 1 stupid mistake.
Always have a spare hardware store in your pockets as well it tends to come in handyBig Grin
RE: #4

add snacks for yourself and enough to share... hence the signature.
fuel and fire starting materials are good no mater what the weather is like.

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

gijoey Wrote:fuel and fire starting materials are good no mater what the weather is like.
Can a dog be used for fire starter???

Ronster

Make sure that you have Kevin's number on speed dial before you head out Big Grin

Know your abilities, and dont be scared to ask for assistance (before you need it)
make sure your battery is properly secured Big Grin :poke:

99TJ

hillbillydodge Wrote:make sure your battery is properly secured Big Grin :poke:

I think at least one of us should take this to heart
Always keep a good grip on the hi lift handle :knockout:
hillbillydodge Wrote:make sure your battery is properly secured Big Grin :poke:

thats a low blow Big Grin sad but true:whistle:
from riding with AO dont forget fire extinguisher !

more than once we had to put out some fires eh kev ?

when riding with me always have a source of air ,,because i will break a bead lol

dont come on a trail with a set time limit ..bad things will happen and are unplanned so expect you will be late .....

if you came in with 3 trucks you leave with 3 trucks ...

justimpact

it never hurts to check you vehicle and equiptment befor you hit the trail I.E. fluid leaks, worn u-joints, winches for proper operation, and keep extra batteries for radios
hey! fluid leaks are not a trail stopper! :mad:
ZMonster Wrote:hey! fluid leaks are not a trail stopper! :mad:
If fluid can get out, water and mud can get in. If you have a leaker check it after every run. Or better yet, Fix it.Big Grin
78calico Wrote:If fluid can get out, water and mud can get in. If you have a leaker check it after every run. Or better yet, Fix it.Big Grin
:pbbt:

99TJ

Fix_It Wrote:if you came in with 3 trucks you leave with 3 trucks ...

Unless its Ole, then you might have to come back for it the next day with lots of axles:poke: Smile
Yeah, yeah. That problem is about to be fixed.
Fix_It Wrote:from riding with AO dont forget fire extinguisher !

more than once we had to put out some fires eh kev ?

when riding with me always have a source of air ,,because i will break a bead lol

dont come on a trail with a set time limit ..bad things will happen and are unplanned so expect you will be late .....

if you came in with 3 trucks you leave with 3 trucks ...

SO true, so true...
know you vehicles and your limits.
know how to fix your rig if and when you break it.
carry extra parts and fluids with you ie u-joints, oil, antifreeze, brake fluid. yes you may not need it but a fellow member might.
have a spare tire and rim of proper bolt pattern for you ride.
help out fellow members people get stuck or things break, but know when to enough people are there to help and you will just get in the way.
have things straped, bolted or tied down. nothing like getting hit in the head by a cooler or tool set.
and most important have enough gas. better yet bring extra trail rides can be long and last well into the night. kev is not always around to do gas runs.:whistle:

akdsmer

Don't do this:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseac...D=28686428

Don't be the dufus that is pulling from the bottom, and use your ebrake.
Now that's funny.

justimpact

hahahahaahahahahahha!!! lol do you think that they pushed it back up the hill