Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Bulldog's Rubicon lift questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to decide how to set up my Jeep now. Ultimately I'd like 35's, so it looks like I'd need 4.5" to 5.5" of lift to clear them. I've heard of bad road manners with 4.5"+ short arm lifts and think I'd like to go long arm. The only downside is the cost of the LA kits. A long arm kit would have to wait. What about a 3.5" lift with a 1" body lift? Will that clear 35's?

I think "FOR NOW", I'm going to run the 31"x10.5"x15" Super Swamper TSL's on 15"x8" MT wheels with 3-3/8" backspacing I already have. They rub the fenders when I hit a bump going down the road or entering parking lots as is. Should I go budget boost or ACOS? If I bought the ACOS, could I use them later with what ever lift I purchase? Any steering correction required with a BB or ACOS?

I don't like the fact that the tires stick out beyond the fenders. Any mud on the road covers the side windows fairly quickly. Should I look at more backspacing or wider fenders? The Rubicon has 4.25" fenders stock, I saw some aftermarket 6" and 7" flares?

Are the stock springs really spongy or could they already be degrading after 16,000 miles?

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

you could go with a 2" budget boost and your tire rub would go away

99TJ

I had the wide bushwacker fender flares on my jeep with 12.5 wide tires and they still didn't stop all the mud, you need mud flaps on the bottom of the front fender to stop mud from getting your side windows

and since this is probably your first jeep
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...p?t=696368
this is a good post about some of the basic TJ stuff, you might want to look at it some, it helps alot Smile

naturalbornmudder

My experience with TJ's is that a 2"BB will do fine for your 31's. There is always a use for BB spacers. I am on my way to buying my 4 or 5th set.

I would hold off on doing incremental builds. My mistake was going from 31's to 33's to 35's all in a 1 year period. Talk about wasting money.

As for clearing 35's, I cleared 35's with a sagging 4" ProCrap lift with minimal rubbing. I would recommend going with a quality 3.5" RE or BDS lift and having kept your 2" spacers(another trick I didnt learn early enough) you have the ability to add if needed.

IMO, ACOS isnt worth the coin.

As for steering correction. Yes, I had to do some steering correction when I went 2" BB

Stock spring spongy? Yes,a nd that is why a lot of guys like to run them with 2" spacers. I dont know if you recall Pat(snowman) btu he ran 35's with trimmign rear fenders, flat fender fronts, and stock coil springs and placed 4th overall in the 06M&G RTI ramp. Stock springs have a soft ride and flex well.

Ronster

The 3.5 lift will look kind of funny running 33's, ask me how I know... With the 3.5, you will gain closer to 4-4.45, which coupled with the 1" body lift will clear 35s no problem. You can run a 35 on the 3.5 lift, but you wil have minor rubbing at full flex.

If you really care about the flare issue, I would go with a good 6" flare like the warns. From what I hear (I have never owned a pair, but its all over the net) the bushwackers dont hold up for crap on the trail. They crack and break easy. There are other models out there, so research a little before you buy.

I second what Nate said. Save your money and build it the way you want it the first time. I too went the way of the budget boost and wasted a bit of money that would have been nice towards the 3.5".

The biggest ride difference you can make is with a quality shock. There are a few really good ones, get the ones that are made specifically for the jeep because of the weight issue.

99TJ

I have some of the pieces left after I broke them off my jeep when I put factory flares back on, thats how crappy they were
Confusedniff:
I wish I still had a TJ. I could reply with some tech.
Sad

No, not really.
99TJ Wrote:I have some of the pieces left after I broke them off my jeep when I put factory flares back on, thats how crappy they were

I was wondering about aftermarket flares. I heard the stock flares are really durable.
Ronster Wrote:I second what Nate said. Save your money and build it the way you want it the first time. I too went the way of the budget boost and wasted a bit of money that would have been nice towards the 3.5".

The biggest ride difference you can make is with a quality shock. There are a few really good ones, get the ones that are made specifically for the jeep because of the weight issue.

I don't want to waste money either. If I got the Budget Boost, then I'd also want longer shocks. Then I may want firmer springs. At that point, I'd have been better off starting with a lift.
naturalbornmudder Wrote:I would hold off on doing incremental builds. My mistake was going from 31's to 33's to 35's all in a 1 year period. Talk about wasting money.

As for steering correction. Yes, I had to do some steering correction when I went 2" BB

Stock spring spongy? Yes,a nd that is why a lot of guys like to run them with 2" spacers. I dont know if you recall Pat(snowman) btu he ran 35's with trimmign rear fenders, flat fender fronts, and stock coil springs and placed 4th overall in the 06M&G RTI ramp. Stock springs have a soft ride and flex well.

Two of the tires I want to get start out at 35" size!!!

I've heard some guys say after they've changed their springs, when they let the clutch out it now immediately starts travelling forward rather than squatting.

I was thinking about flat fenders or maybe even the AEV High Line kit ($$$$) to allow for clearance, but keep a low center of gravity. At what point will the rear fenderwheels become a limit to flex if I keep lift to a minimum and open up the front fenders? Was it just trimming of the plastic or the actual metal fenderwell that Snowman had to do?
Daily driver, indeed. Rolleyes

naturalbornmudder

Pat trimmed just under 2 inches out of his rear fender wells without actually cutting into the body shape. It was single wall sheet steel. As far as that goes, you can take off the fender flare, trim out the rear fender wells, and replace the flare, like I had seen a few guys do.

Quite honestly, based on preference, I would rather have a jeep that squatted some when I let out the clutch. It makes for a nicer ride, easier flex, etc. Yes, the firmness of ride is nicer for road, but I figure you threw that idea out the window when you decided to put 35's on.Big Grin

Either way, welcome to the jeep thing. I hope to get up there your way to wheel with you again.
you're welcomed to try out mine for a closer look. the rubicon express 3.5 super flex on 33s. if you know of anyone that would lend you a 35" tire, we can mount it on my jeep to see what needs trimming or not. i'm not a fan of the body lift, but even 1.25" could be a good step toward clearing the 31s and then should still be good to slap on the 3.5 lift for the 35+ as another option.

another link that is quite addicting is:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/index.php

just like any forum out there, a few key search terms and you'll find more info on what works and doesn't work.

99TJ

Bulldog Wrote:I was wondering about aftermarket flares. I heard the stock flares are really durable.

If you found some that were similar design as the stock ones they would prbabaly be all right, but the bushwackars are garbage!
Check out Rusty's for hte flares, not sure if they are still making them for the TJ or not but they are fairly plyable (sp?). I watched a guy repeatedly slam them into trees and they just popped right back out, now I'm not sure how they are int he extreme cold but most plastic doesn't fair well in -40.

EDIT: Just looked at their site and it looks like the good ones are only for the XJ, but he doesn't have a description of the TJ ones, might give him a call and see. And we have a vendor that deals with him.
There are tons of different ways to on what lift you want. If I had mine to do different I would have saved up for a LA kit or started out with atleast 4.5-6" lift to go with 35's off the bat. You could go with a 4.5-5.5 RE SA and save up and do the LA upgrade later. Body lifts are not that bad if you go with the JKS 1.25" or a Daystar 1", it replaces the poly bushing and gives you the extra room for a tummy tuck on your Transmition/T-Case later.

All in all its what you want to do but we will be here to help you on your Jeep Upgrade Big Grin

Ronster

Bulldog Wrote:I don't want to waste money either. If I got the Budget Boost, then I'd also want longer shocks. Then I may want firmer springs. At that point, I'd have been better off starting with a lift.

A budget boost usually comes with shocks