Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Dif question?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

socalrat22

well I'm wondering if anyone knows of a web sit that I can cross the #'s I got of my diff to see what gears I have. I need to get a gear from gene's to fix the speedo.

AK20

If it's a Dana rear end go here and type in the number: http://www2.dana.com/expert/wc.dll?cvsp~deabill~2~

socalrat22

DONT SHOOT ME GUYS!!!!!! How will I know if its a dana?

AK20

It's a Jeep right, don't most Jeep's have a Dana rear end?? I'm Jeep stupid so I'm not sure, punch in the number anyways I'm sure it will tell you if it's not a BOM number for one of their alxes(dana).
Might be a chrysler 8.25"
Google an axle ID chart. it'll show you the shape of the bolt pattern on the diff cover. This will tell you the axle model. XJs had either a dana 35 or a chrysler 8.25

But what are the diff numbers you have? Is it off a metal tag on one of the diff cover bolts? Or on the bearing caps?

If you want to count gears manually, search one of the X-factor SAS threads on here. It's been explained over 50 times how to count ring gear teeth, and driveshaft vs. tire revolutions.
And before you go to gene's for a new gear, post a wanted thread. Lots of us have extra speedo gears we'll trade.

socalrat22

I got the #'s of the diff its self. 2310 and 4384213. I did the, mark the wheel and driveshaft and turn the driveshaft and see how many turns it takes the wheel to make one rev and I got 2 turns of the driveshaft to one rev of the wheel. I know sounds kinda high. Tonight I am going to change out the diff oil anyway so I will count the gears.
I`m guessing 4.10s

socalrat22

ok I counted the teeth....11 for the pinion and 39 for the ring.... I counted them 3 times. anyone know what I have?

AK20

3.54's is what I got out of that, just divide Ring# by the Pinion# = 3.54.
That's the formula. I dont' see how that relates to the numbers posted above though. (off the diff)

AK20

sevenslats Wrote:That's the formula. I dont' see how that relates to the numbers posted above though.  (off the diff)
socalrat22 Wrote:ok I counted the teeth....11 for the pinion and 39 for the ring.... I counted them 3 times. anyone know what I have?

Hence 3.54, he counted 11 and 39...
No, I got that. I meant the numbers he posted first.
.2310 and 4384213.

socalrat22

so does anyone have a speedo gear that will fix my speed for 33's....I need it soon becouse I might be driving to the lower 48 soon.
What tooth count do you need?  I think my extra is a 36 red.

EDIT: looks like you need a 31. IIRC, that is yellow.
Check on that website that I gave you the link to. That is the table I have used for my Jeep and others with great success. Also, I posted the table in a Tech write up. I think they all made it over here from the old site setup. Look in the Tech Articles. It will say TJ Speedo gear, but it will work for your XJ since you have the same t-case.
Topic split to obtain better results for topic starter. see wanted forum.