Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: DANA 44 question #5360989
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dana 44 rear axle out of a xj 3.55 gears with tracklock. 60.5 wms!

http://fresno.craigslist.org/pts/632559635.html

is this an ideal swap for the TJ? i read a while back that some d44s were light weights or made out of aluminum. is this one of those cheap-os? $150.

the big kicker is that it is in cali, but that is a simple logistical fix.
Should work just fine for a TJ swap. The only aluminum one that I know of was in the ZJ's and it was a D44a. Ask NBM he will tell you all about a D44a.
That would work great. You'd just need to fab brackets and such. Truthfully that is a heck of a deal on that axle. Very few folks get rid of them. they aren't easy to come by.
for future ref...
posting a good deal, then asking if its a good deal...
haha, but thats just me

naturalbornmudder

good deal, but how are you goign to get it from Clovis?
car-part.com

I found 2 87-89 XJ d44s within 150 miles of me for under $250.

But... If you're up for a road trip, help yourself!
Or find folks here that are headed that way.
hmmm, the "how to get it here" question. i'm planing a trip to cali with a couple of my co-workers this summer to the barstow area. the real trick is how to sneak it into the plane on the way back. i could also ship it to iraq and have some fun rebuilding it then. any takers on a tech night out there? i'll provide the near-beer :cheers:
That would be a great swap, there are pre fabbed bracket kits for the TJ all you got to go is clean off the old brackets off the old axle, rebuild the brakes, set pinion angle, weld on the new brackets, paint up the new axle, and bolt it in.

things u have to figure in.

cost's

new axle
bracket kit
gears and installation
locker
new brakes,
new brake line

naturalbornmudder

Pm sent.
Jeff, don't forget E-brake. could be a headache connecting that up.
the axle sold but thanks for everyones input