Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: U joint sizes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

naturalbornmudder

So I am reading that Jeeps have either 260 series or 297 series U joints. How does that equate into like 1310 and 1330 series U joints? What is the skinny as far as getting a yoke to match to my ZJ driveshaft?

TJVigilante

The 297 is the front axle ujoint...the driveshaft joints are 1310's. This is for my TJ at least.

Your ZJ should have 1310 driveshaft joints as well, MAYBE 1330's.
ZJ's utilize 1310's
Someone please correct me if wrong, but I think...

260 is the same size as 1310 and 297 is the same as 1330. The difference is in the caps. 1310 and 1330 driveshaft joints are held in place with outer snap rings or u-bolts/straps while the 260 and 297 axle joints have a type of c-clip on the inner edge of the cap. The 260s will be on front axles without ABS and the 297 are on axles with ABS. I've heard if you find a wrecked ZJ/XJ with ABS, the 297 shafts are a good low-buck upgrade for a non-ABS vehicle with a front Dana30.

This is all from my "I've heard" mental archives so I'm not 100% sure.
You're looking for a yoke to bolt to the pinion flange on the VF9?

naturalbornmudder

yes sir...
Working on my mind-reading skills...here goes... Sounds like a fun weekend of salvage yard hunting. I'm guessing you'll be looking for Ford, Lincoln, or Merc big old RWD cars. Maybe they'll use driveshafts with the same size u-joints as yours so you can frankenstein the yoke onto your shaft. 1310 series joints can have a few different cap sizes and I'd bet some oddballs can even have different caps on the same joint. So the important measurement is the u-joint series and not the cap size. Do ZJs have single cardan rear shafts or CV? Don't think it matters but just curious.
ZJ rear driveshafts look the same as a TJ, only shorter. There's no slip yoke in the shaft, like a stock TJ.

Nate, how is your VF9 yoke different than an 8.8? There's adapters for those all over.
Huh?

TJ's had rear driveshaft issues and required the SYE when being lifted much thanks to their SHORT length. ZJ driveshafts are in fact much longer. Even with 6" of lift, a SYE is not needed.
ARGH

naturalbornmudder

Quote:
ARGH!

Argh like talk like a pirate, argh!?!
:pirate:
Yes, had a double post and it wouldn't let me delete it.
Aye. I'll beit a TJ shaft do be shorter than me ZJ parts is.

You got me thar, lubber. Watch ye back, scoundrels. Cap'n Woody be a devious one, he.
Have at you!

naturalbornmudder

Garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
Ahoy matey! Don't ye be knawing on yer peg-leg over this one Slats! I've got a limey-long shaft just rarin' to go. If'fn not, to Davey Jones' locker it'll go by way of the plank...

Garrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
WOW

Mr Anderson

Yeah, Extreme 4x4 on Spike TV, just did a extremely low budget build on an XJ. And they did the ABS axle swap and covered why it is better.
I saw some of that build. Yeah, extreme low budget if you have your very own frame puller...Rolleyes

The rest of what I saw really was lo-buck quality, though.

nate379

If you have U joint shafts on a ZJ, they are 297 joints. They never had 260 joints in them. That being said, CV joints in the front are WAY more common.

As for the driveshaft, they are 1310.

No idea what a Vf9 is so can't help you anymore.