Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Tourism Hummer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

akdsmer

I remember Tony talking about this, looks like this guy has the jump on him! He was trying to see if his vehicle was over 12,001 # unladen weight...

[Image: humvee_2_thumb.jpg]

I guess I should fix my settings. Here's the link to a bigger pic.

http://www.arcticoffroad.com/forum/galle...mvee_2.jpg
passenger front tire is on backwards. :p
I saw this driving today beside the Rich.
Am I seeing things or was that originally a military HMMWV? I'm just looking at the lights, reflectors, fording kit, opposite mounted tires.

They're not supposed to get sold to the public. The military hummers are supposedly not safe enough to just auction off so they have to get utterly destroyed when unserviceable. There was a loophole way back when and a construction company bartered some from the Marines as speedy payment for a contract. That loophole closed really quick. Supposedly it's for safety but pretty much everyone agrees it's so people can't pick 'em up cheap from DRMO auctions, fix 'em up, and turn a quick buck. Imagine how bad that would cut into AM General's profits on the civ hummers.

Interesting rig, anyway. Wonder what the story is.
In the mid 90's several hundred ex-military Hummer's were sold on DRMO. Note that ll had about a gallon of sand in the engine, trans, T-case, and axles, but I know two folks that picked them up, and real cheap.

You see them come up on Ebay every once in awhile.
Yes it is a military humvee, and my Lord is it ugly... I would never do that to mine. I have been thinking of selling it and building a Wagoneer. I could use the money to pay off some stuff. I want to get rid of all my debt, quit the rat race, work part time and join the Guard for the retirement at 60, I may have to wait longer, but at least I will get to see my kids grow up.

Anyone wanna buy a 93 Hummer?
How much?Big Grin
If it weren't for the 6.2L Big Grin.
How much for the tires? Big Grin
Hey my 6.2L ROCKS!!! it only has about 60K on it though and was babied for the first 35k until I got it!! It has been rock solid for me from day one. Some are cursed, I know, but at least they are cheap to replace, I could probably rebuild a 6.2L for less than the cost of Duramax injectors!!

I am thinking around 20K, a lot for an off road rig, but even wrecked Hummers go for 15K. Mechanically it is great, 3 of the 4 halfshafts replaced in the last 2 years, rear diff rebuilt with detriot 1.5 years ago and the motor, trans, and Tcase run perfectly.

Most of the problems are cosmetic, you've seen the pinstriping, and the hood has a few cracks. The driver's seat is torn but I know where to get that and any other Hummer parts Wet Okole sells covers for Hummer seats as well. I have 4 military canvas tan doors in great condition that would be awesome on the trail (lift off just like a jeep). The only real mechanical thing I can think of is the A/C doesn't work (not a necessity in AK anyway) and the CTIS guage only shows the front tire pressure, probably a kinked line for the rear pressure sensor. It also needs the 42's balanced (I mounted them by myself and never had them balanced) and it causes a vibration at 30-35. I hear that Giant tire can balance the big ones like this, so I am planning to have that done.

For an Artic offroad member, I might negotiate a little.
12K unladen? He must be smokin crack the military Humvees wiegh in at around 5400 unladen and his roof looks 95% plexiglass so I would guess 6K and that is at the most!! Mine with a 12K warn, full size spare, tools, steel hardtop with steel doors and heavy duty rear bumper wieghs in at 6800.
That seems light, my 91 1/2 ton Burb weighed in at 6K, and the 97 is closer to 6800. Maybe I need to try a different scale.
Mark is right, the contractor was General Dynamics if I remeber correctly and the number was around 300 Humvees total in like 1998 or 99. They sat for a couple of years before the Marine Corps actually gave them up and they were stripped to the bone, no seats, tops, doors, mirrors, drained the fluids, some didn't run. I got into Hummers/Humvees when my buddy Al Boswell (manager of 4wheelparts in Atlanta) met the guy at http://www.xhumvee.com These guys had bought 150 or so of the 300 from the Marines for about 6-8K each!!! they were putting tops, seats, mirrors, etc and getting them running and selling them for 15-20K back in 2002. Now they have probably less than 30 of the original 150 they started with and they are restoring/modifying them and seeling for 40K and up.

AM General (once Jeep's heavy truck division maker of 2.5 and 5 tons) only ever sold about 10000 Hummer H1's to the public, but Humvees total is still less than 500. The Marine Humvee sale was the biggest, but there have been smaller numbers released since, just one or two every once in a while.
Hummers aren't as heavy as people think. 2 guys can pick up the bare tub with no roof, seats or anything else, and the hood is fiberglass. The weight is all in the massive frame, suspension, gearded hubs, A-arms, etc. Ever look at the shock bolts on one? They are like 1 inch!! no puny bolts here. I used to hate that about my YJ, I wheeled it very hard and once ripped the leaf spring bracket from the frame, everything was tiny on that frame! I also bent the rear crossmember on the YJ pulling someone out once... Maybe the newer jeeps have better frames I dunno..

TJVigilante

20k for the hummer....hmm. I'm going to have to save some cashola. :p