Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Distant future LJ brainstorming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I had a little time to kill and got to thinking about what to do for the 3rd evolution of the LJ. I'm talking a few years in the future here.

The 2nd should be coming this summer and will be very mild. Just the 2" lift springs I got from Marek, slightly larger 32" tires, and a higher clearance tougher crossmember to replace the shovel - that's it. My perennial plan is to save a bit here and there during the life of a set of tires and have evolutionary leaps with each new set of shoes.

So when I wear out the 2nd set of tires in maybe 2-3 years I want 34"-35" tires without any more lift. I was looking at the AEV highline kit but really don't like the price. If they'll sell just the flares I could do some sheetmetal work and a little fabbing on the original body parts. OR... tube fenders are really cool and I came across this idea that's the best of both worlds.

[Image: frontwinter.JPG]

The hood gets cut and the fenderline is raised about 3 inches. Turn signals in the headlights and side markers on the hood. Making this myself (or commissioning some help from one of our higly skilled vendors with a tube bender...) plus some trimming out back and 35" tires on the stock Moabs with innerair locks aught to be a reality with only the 2" suspension lift. I was looking at the Geolander MT 315/75R16 - About 34"-35" diameter and approved rim width 8"-10".

I'm thinking a hood/grill guard tieing into the fenders and to the winch guard tube I already have would be pretty sweet too.

Remember, this would be a few years from now.
I like the way that looks, pretty sweet.

I wish I had the time and money to do some builds like you've been doing and dreaming up.

Some day....
Yahoo spider decided to bring this back up. I like the way that looks and would like to do that to mine some day.
How wide is a tj/lj with stock tires and rims?

Ronster

zukman1993 Wrote:How wide is a tj/lj with stock tires and rims?

Rims are 8", Rubicon Tires are 31x10.5x15s I believe

Steve, I wouldnt spend the money on the highline fender kit, you can probably fab something just as good. I have always liked the tub fender look :yes:
That's the plan. Make my own tube fenders in the front and cut up the original spare MTR for rear flares so I can cut the rear well. If you look at the AEV highline kit, the rear gets cut too and the flare is almost even with the top of the tub. I figure 35"s with 2" lift and that body trimming is an attainable goal.
zukman1993 Wrote:How wide is a tj/lj with stock tires and rims?

Stock measurements:

Don't know the official measurement, but my tape says about 70" wide at the tires. The rims are 16"x8" with 5" backspacing. The tires are 245/75R16, a little less than 31" diameter with new tread so I guess I'm only running 30"s these daysBig Grin.

Ronster

Now all you need are some AT's and you will be able to go everywhere :yes:
I think you have the right idea in keeping it low and lean. Now i know the how wide i can go.
Ronster Wrote:Now all you need are some AT's and you will be able to go everywhere :yes:

So I hear...:thefinger:
http://www.jpmagazine.com/featuredvehicl...index.html

I need to stop googling my own rigs. I get too many expensive ideas.

Ronster

Interesting tube fender idea. He didnt box off the to, just left it open. I wonder if that would pass the AST test...

Interesting idea with the lower control arms. I dont think I would have welded them together like that, seems like it would limit the flex.
Ronster Wrote:Interesting tube fender idea. He didnt box off the to, just left it open. I wonder if that would pass the AST test...

Interesting idea with the lower control arms. I dont think I would have welded them together like that, seems like it would limit the flex.

I don't think it would pass in any state with tire coverage guidelies.

The article calls it a triangulated 3 link. The welded together arms converge at 1 joint not shown in the picture. Should flex prety well that way. Personally, I'd do a radius arm with track bar setup. Kind of like the Nth Degree LA kit.

Something like this could/would only happen to the LJ if I got rid of the GB. Anyone interested in a slightly modified M715? Price = a pair of Mog404 axles + $6000. I say again, Googling the vehicles in my driveway gives me too many dangerous ideas. I've resisted looking into what I can do to Megans car (Grand Prix GXP) to make it go even faster than it already does...

Ronster

SHoppe715 Wrote:The article calls it a triangulated 3 link. The welded together arms converge at 1 joint not shown in the picture. Should flex prety well that way. Personally, I'd do a radius arm with track bar setup. Kind of like the Nth Degree LA kit.

I agree 100%. Seems like the longarms would take a pretty good beating being that they hang so low. I am sure it would be fine as long as it was made out of thick tube.
If I had a TJ the very first thing I would do is upgrade the flemsy paper thin stock control arms, after I seen Merrick's I did some searching and found a bunch of posts about them breaking. one guy on pirate had them break when he went over a rough RR track, a couple days after a wheeling trip aand the front axle shifted and he wrecked and totaled his jeep
The fronts are all getting replaced in the next few weeks. I'm less worried about the rears for now. They take much less abuse pulling on the axle versus the fronts which absorb ludicrous shock loads. A few years down the road the rear uppers will disappear for a Stinger and the lowers will get lengthened.
Found this kit. Exactly what I had in mind. I have the life of this next set of tires to save up for it.

http://www.genright.com/ProductInfo.aspx...id=TFHFTJK
And of course, the closer I looked, I started telling myself "I could make that".

When I added up all the options to get it the way I want it, without shipping, I'd be looking at over $2200. I bet I could buy materials, basic tube bender and notcher, and all the necessary hardware for that much.

99TJ

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sho...t=homebrew

This could be a real informative post for you, has alot of good stuff in it