Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: How to measure axle housing?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Stumblinman

I would appreciate a little schooling on how to measure axles/housings. Correct terminology would be helpful too. I will probly need to do this with wheels attached if that makes a difference.

Story:
I recently aquired a cherokee wide trac front D44 passenger side drop. I didn't know it was a wide trac until a little more research on the Inet. (2door cherokees are all wide-trac) Now I'm looking for a rear mate for it if the rear d44 cannot be aquired as well. Maybe a Ford D60.. :whistle: I am looking to switch to passenger side drop so I can swap tcases to have more control instead of flipping a switch, revving engine to get vaccuum to do the work for me then stopping putting tranny in neutral to switch to low. I may be going the long/wrong way about it so any opinion will be helpful.

trailkilla

from one side to the other. Big Grin
you Measure from wheel face to wheel face. that is from where the back of the wheel sits to other side. don't forget the calipers or brake drums need to be on. you can have the rear axle a little bit narrower than the front.
chevys in the 80's had a 1 to 2 inch narrower rear axle.

Stumblinman

Hmmm can I use the rotors? outside to outside mine is 58" and the new one it 61.5"...
My screw up from rotor face to rotor face. you mite need spacers.

TJVigilante

I have a Ford 9" housing and a 4.10 geared 3rd member (with 28 spline differential) sitting here I'll part with for cheap. Wifey will be happy to be rid of it too. Big Grin I estimated 61" WMS-WMS with stock brake drums, not included. You may also have to get custom shafts made because I can't find them anywhere for that year and model truck ('72 F100 2wd). Lucky thing is I have one and they're the same length both sides for the 9".

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

whats a dana 60 worth to you ???
I have always heard "wheel Face" referred to as "Wheel Mounting Surface" - or abreviated WMS.

As was mentioned, front and rear don't have to exactly match. Ref to 80's Chevies was correct. Front was 2" wider than rear.

If you're wanting to go to Drivers side drop - a Chevy 10 bolt would do - they are almost identical to the Dana 44 and parts are incredibly numerous (and I have a few laying around as well) I don't know the WMS but could find that rather quickly. I also have a Dana 44 pass side drop axle (or two) laying around. If you go with one of those options I would also have a 10 or 12 bolt rear that would work. The advantage there would be ease of parts. Mousee has a set of Chevy 1/2 tons on his Jeep and they do outstandingly well.

As well, I know where there are a few sets of 14Bolt rear and Dana 60 fronts - most folks want a grand for a pair.

Stumblinman

Thanks for the responses. I guess I will have to roll this over in the nugget for a little bit. I'm trying to get everything squared away before the SOA. I have plenty of room up front to go wider but the rear would take some sheet metal work.