Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Cage for my Scrambler
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

AKLJ8

I'm thinking of getting this weld in cage kit for my Scrambler. It is designed to fit under the 1/2 cab top. The front hoops mounts to plates on the dash with supports behind the dash running to the floor.

$550 for the kit... Is it worth it?
[Image: 2214575460065051499GzjuXR_ph.jpg]
[Image: 2517391710065051499yKqJGI_ph.jpg]

LowNSlowNeon

$550 + shipping? Price it out with mousee or holeski.. I bet it could be done cheaper....

AKLJ8

Yea... + shipping... I'm getting an estimate on that...
That design is basically like the cage I have. I bought mine before I knew anyone up here that could fab and weld. I think with shipping, mine was powdercoated and all that I paid $700. I have all the same bars as in your pics plus one more across the dash from side to side.
basically the same thing I made for mine. except I ran one spreader bar (melon clearance) and ran the verts to the floor with door bars. You should drop by and see if it IS what you want to do. I will shoot you a pm Smile

AKLJ8

I've been told that this cage kit is designed to bolt to the dash with no supports going to the floor. You can get them but there optional. The structure of the CJ dash is supposed to be enough to support the cage...

Thoughts?..................
This is the dash bracket mounted to the gig they weld the cage up with.
[Image: Forsalestuff010.jpg]
My TJ bolts to the firewall like the pic you posted and since your Jeep has more metal in it than mine does, that should be more than enough strength. I do like the cage support you posted a pic of though!

AKLJ8

You have any pics of your cage Rob?
crazy4ink Wrote:My TJ bolts to the firewall like the pic you posted and since your Jeep has more metal in it than mine does, that should be more than enough strength.  I do like the cage support you posted a pic of though!

AKLJ8

mousee Wrote:I will shoot you a pm Smile
Never got the PM...
Looks silly with the top off.  I mean the two hoops inches apart.
Everyone says that cowl area is plenty strong, but I wouldn't trust it.  go at least to the floor, if not the frame.

I paid $300 shipped for mine.  http://www.tennesseeoffroad.com

AKLJ8

sevenslats Wrote:Looks silly with the top off. 
Thats the dilemma with keeping the half cab top. I have the factory 1/2 hard top and a factory 1/2 soft top and would like to be able to use one or both of them with a cage.
With a good interior 'cage, you don't need the rear hoop. It doesn't look horrible with the top off that way either. I will try the pm again also... Big Grin

holeski

Looks cool. So as far as the dash mounts, I know in the YJ and TJ that area is one of the strongest points in the Jeep. In crash tests it shows minimal damage compared to the rest of the rig. I haven’t heard much on the CJ’s though. In my opinion I think the dash mounts are fine, but should have the plate ran a leg to the floor just for safety.