Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: FtWW slate hill climb
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
SO I had to kill some time today while Megan was getting her hair did...

This is as far as I got before the non-offroad carb killed the engine. It's actually past the first and steepest scree slope. I had to give it hell to get to there but if my engine would have kept going on this incline I could have crawled a bit from there.
[Image: image016.jpg]

The next stretch isn't too bad.
[Image: image017.jpg]

Then there's some little bushes as it gets a little steeper again.
[Image: image018.jpg]

I think the worst will be this rock pile. It'll definitely take some good ground clearance and a good spotter, but after that we're home free to the top.
[Image: image019.jpg]

The worst part today was backing down this without engine power.Big Grin The clutch made a good stop and go brake with no power assist on the service brake.
[Image: image021.jpg]

Alrighty! Who's game?
I've been wanting to tackle that climb for a while now. I decided to wait until I have a cage. Once Calico is back together, your on. I've gone down it in the winter on a snowmachine but didn't attempt to climb it for fear of ripping all the lugs off my track. 150hp spinning 2" paddles at 70mph over sharp rocks. Get the pcture?
http://www.arcticoffroad.com/forum/showt...&highlight=

Take a look at Darrick in # 2,3,21,34
and Me in #23
Darrick went up the line(s) on the left, and that's as far as he got without winch/cage/stupidity. I went up the right line, like you did, and didn't have a spotter.
I think I tried to follow derrik up that hill in my old jeep but had too much wheel hop and had to back off of it, it also did not help the cause i was running 38psi in my TSL's :oops:

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

Geoff I think this is a different spot than that. This is all the way over past the ski hill by the fuel storage tanks if i'm right.
Completely different area. This one's at the big pit straight west of Birch Hill.

[Image: slate_hill_climb_idea.jpg]

[Image: fwa_slate_hill.jpg]

I got about 1/3 of the way up.
Yeah, Ive been partway up as well. After getting sideways in the loose stuff trying to back down, I decided to wait until I had a cage. If you roll on that hill there is no stopping until the bottom.
is't that near sage hill where we always play. you hit the t intersection at the power line climb and take a right. where we stopped after doing the other sage hill this past ride where derick was playing. if so then yes jeff i was with you in the old jeep on that one. that was the same day you had that wheel bearing go out.
It's halfway between the ski hill and the Tank farm that's across the highway from Seekins.
It's almost on the oposite end of the ridge from Sage hill. If you drive to the tower at the end of the road above the ski hill and turn south on the four wheeler trail you'll find youself at the top of it. It's about a 200' drop so don't forget to stop when you get there.Rolleyes
78calico Wrote:It's halfway between the ski hill and the Tank farm that's across the highway from Seekins.
It's almost on the oposite end of the ridge from Sage hill. If you drive to the tower at the end of the road above the ski hill and turn south on the four wheeler trail you'll find youself at the top of it. It's about a 200' drop so don't forget to stop when you get there.Rolleyes

Yes - exactly - but whatchu talkin' 'bout "four wheeler trail"? My Jeep fits right through:p

In the 1st pic above you're looking at the Birch Hill towers and ski slopes top and right. The black line is that "four wheeler trail".

akdsmer

That looks like a killer run. I haven't played much on WW, but this climb has captured my interest...
I want to make that climb. I started up this last trip but ran out of oil pressure. I was a quart low but that was one steep climb too. I want to finish the climb geoff posted up. That is a hard one to make. Either way there is a WW run on the 4th before the BBQ :whistle: