Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: ongoing work party
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

TJVigilante

Alrighty...until further notice I'm going to have a bit of time at home. I want to get some things done to the Jeep that I've had waiting for some time now. This list will update as I find new things to do.

body lift/MML - priority...should be easy

replumb my air compressor system

install in-cab winch controls. I'll need to borrow a dremel, mine's toast.

durabak/herculine interior. it's not going to move from where I put it tomorrow so I'm going to start cleaning out the interior, sanding and prepping it for when I find a deal on some bedliner.

carpeting the hard top. Definitely need a hand with this, at least with getting the hard top off and back on. I'll need to go buy some carpeting for it before this happens.

work on the fenders. Whether that means trying to straighten them back out or just cut them altogether, I want to get rid of the droopy-eyed look my Jeep has.

Anyone who wants to come and help, my number is in the MO forum contact thread...if you don't have access you can PM me for it. I'll be checking back periodically. I'll be working on it pretty much all day Sunday the 26th and I'm certain I'll have Monday to take care of it too.

naturalbornmudder

I cannot lend a hand on the 26/27th but if this gets pushed a week or better(2 weeks), I can.

You are more than welcome to use my garage for the BL/MML. We did Georges 3 weeks ago and the BL went so much faster with an air compressor and impact sockets. I think we wrapped his up in under and hour.

I also have a Dremel you can borrow. I can bring it in as far as the Fairbanks office and you can swing by and pick it up during business hours. Let me know when is good for you.

Manual lifting for the hard top, I can do.

As for the fenders, I have plaz/welder/grinders, etc. Thinkup what ya wanna to and grab some odds and ends steel from Greegers scrap pile. I have some think p[late if you want to shore up and gusset/brace it from underneath with the steel, or you could just go get some 1" .080 wall DOM and notch it lengthwise, scrap the plastic fender flares and line the outside of the remaining flat fender with the DOM. Looks sweet.
My service truck has air and a torch. when you pull the top i can get the boom truck to help out too. I give you a call around 10:00 today.

naturalbornmudder

zukman1993 Wrote:My service truck has air and a torch. when you pull the top i can get the boom truck to help out too. I give you a call around 10:00 today.

Wow! bravo!:clap:

Ronster

I can lend tools for today if you need anything, the weather is keeping me home instead of fishing with the family. Stop by if you need anything. I can help remove the top if you need it, its only a 2 person job, 3 if your top decides to split in the back :troutslap:
Ronster Wrote:...can help remove the top if you need it, its only a 2 person job... :troutslap:

Guess I need to get video proof next time I wear mine like a hat and walk around the yard:eek: - it's longer than yours too.:p

You're right about needing help to flip it over gently for the carpeting job, though.Cool
SHoppe715 Wrote:Guess I need to get video proof next time I wear mine like a hat and walk around the yard:eek: - it's longer than yours too.:p

Taking the hard top off by yourself is the easy part, putting it back on is another story Big Grin
Yup, loosen the bolts, gently run it up to about 50mph, then hit the roof ejector pedal just to the left of the accellerator.Big Grin

Ronster

I did take it off by myself once, but after the vicaden wore off I swore not to do it again. Moving it is easy, its the first step off the back that gets ya.

TJVigilante

Due to the rain nothing happened with this today. Tomorrow's another day.
When I had my yj I lifted the top with my back and decided to jump to the ground with it :confused::eek: what was I thinking
TJVigilante Wrote:Due to the rain nothing happened with this today. Tomorrow's another day.

Sure is - another rain soaked day! :p

TJVigilante

Tell me about it. :\

Finally make up my mind to get stuff done and I can't. Stupid no-garage apartments.

naturalbornmudder

Quote:I cannot lend a hand on the 26/27th but if this gets pushed a week or better(2 weeks), I can.

You are more than welcome to use my garage for the BL/MML. We did Georges 3 weeks ago and the BL went so much faster with an air compressor and impact sockets. I think we wrapped his up in under and hour.

I also have a Dremel you can borrow. I can bring it in as far as the Fairbanks office and you can swing by and pick it up during business hours. Let me know when is good for you.

Manual lifting for the hard top, I can do.

As for the fenders, I have plaz/welder/grinders, etc. Thinkup what ya wanna to and grab some odds and ends steel from Greegers scrap pile. I have some think p[late if you want to shore up and gusset/brace it from underneath with the steel, or you could just go get some 1" .080 wall DOM and notch it lengthwise, scrap the plastic fender flares and line the outside of the remaining flat fender with the DOM. Looks sweet.

NBM sits patiently with a clean, well equipped, heated garage...

TJVigilante

directions?

Ronster

He lives on Eielson, but it will be well worth the drive as his garage is well equiped. I would offer mine up, but I cant even park in it right now

naturalbornmudder

I am at 647A Broadway Ave, eielson.

I will not be able to help tonight as I have the kids, however if you want to come over and make use of the garage and tools, feel free. Tomorrow I will be at Pauls build in the evening. Saturday and Sunday are a wash.

TJVigilante

When you have a weekend available let me know. I'm hoping to be home as much as possible for any future employers to call me without playing phone tag.
If you can't get out to NBM house you could came buy my work on a weekend, it would have to been out on that Monday tho.

naturalbornmudder

while you are more than welcome to come out to my place, I would bet Zukeman is better set up than I am and closer too. Your choice, no hard feelings either way.Smile

trailkilla

I would like to say that I am not "enjoying" the rain but I do miss it

TJVigilante

Back to the top. This stuff's getting done by spring by hook or by crook. But I need an enclosed shop for some of the underbody stuff....laying on the ground in snow/ice/mud/crap doesn't really inspire me.

Ronster

looking at your origional list there are only a couple of things that can be done outside/in colder temps. Is there a priority for the things that need to get done vs what you would like to get done? Did you get the carpet and glue already? I can help with the winch controller, it just takes a few hours and a "heated" garage.

TJVigilante

Air compressor and winch control I'm going to put near the top for priority. I'm going to price out some copper tubing and a tube bender for it, as well as some hose that can take these temperatures. I have some teflon paste I want to use instead of the tape, and I also need/want to buy some valves to isolate/bypass sections of the system. The harder trick would be redoing the tank's input, which includes putting some new metal inside, drilling it back out and tapping it correctly for a 1/2" NPT fitting. That's not too super-important, I can always load it up with teflon paste to seal it up. All this stuff can actually wait until I'm more stable...money to be spent doesn't agree with my situation at the moment. The winch controls would be pointless if I don't have some way of connecting the power cables to my battery, since I trashed the Optima with the marine wingnut terminals on the top. The new battery has terminals on the side that I know they make wingnut adapters for, but I'm not convinced that I can fit them in on my Jeep...clearances are tight back in that little corner.

Next would come the body lift/MML and installation of the new springs I got from Jeff. I didn't get the carpeting or glue yet, but if I can find the dimensions from Darick's thread again I might head out and grab that stuff too.

I also need to fix the passenger side windshield wiper before the melt comes.
TJVigilante Wrote:...The new battery has terminals on the side that I know they make wingnut adapters for...

I thought I read somewhere once that you're not supposed to use side posts for winch power. Not sure, though.

TJVigilante

Well they make batteries with only the side posts for bigger rigs than mine and are used for cranking(Kev, back me up on that one? GM is the biggest user of these types I believe)...so I don't think it's that big a deal. I'll look around for specifics on that. If anything I can find new battery cable clamps with accessory attachments built in.

I found what you may have read:
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/...ttery.html

Sounds legit to me...and I also believe the instructor for my basic auto maintenance class at the university(just took it for easy credit) said the same thing...so I guess I'll be looking for something else. Might have to go to the car audio shops for these.
Pages: 1 2