Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Recoveries
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

naturalbornmudder

This thread is a simple explanation of recovery tactics. Some are well known, some are more obscure. Add one as you see fit.

PENDELUM RECOVERY
Most know about this, but for the some who do not, here's a brief description of what got me out of peril on 55 Mile.

I was heading up the slate hill portion of 55 mile when my front driveshaft spits out and I have no forward momnentum, and then no traction at all. The Jeep starts sliding backwards down the slate hill and since the front tires are locked up, I have no steering. I slide off of the trail and half way onto the berm before the Jeep stops.
Well, no forward, and going in reverse just continues to pull me closer to the edge of the drop-off. Long story short, I need a pull sideways to get back on the trail.

I attached a ratchet strap to a tree about 15 feet off of the trail on the side I wanted to be pulled to and attached the other end to the rear tow point on the Jeep. Then it was just a matter of allowing the jeep to coast/slide/drive backwards and the strap acted like a pendelum pulling the rear of the jeep back on the trail. Once I got the rear off of the berm and back on the trail, I did the same thing from the opposite side of the jeep to get proper alignment on the hill to coast down to safer ground where I could drop the front driveline, tuirn around, and head safely down the trail.
So you drove the Jeep while the ratchet-strap was still under tension? What was that thing rated at?

naturalbornmudder

I didn't really need to "drive", but the ratchet strap was rated at 10K