Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: YJ dome light question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

akdsmer

My coworker just bought a 02 Wrangler. The dome light doesn't work and since it looks like the previous owner took the doors off, what is the normal disconnect procedure, so I can tell him how to reverse it. The door switches are still connected and the dome light does come on and turn off when you turn the vehicle off after driving it, so it likely isn't a fuse...
YJ may be different, but if you were talking TJ...

There's a fuse in the block behind the glove box labeled "door switch defeat" or something. You remove it when the doors come off and I usually stick it in one of the unused slots for storage. It disables the door switch but the lights still work like you described.
Wait a second. '02? YJ? Round or square headlights?

TJVigilante

02's should turn the dome light off automatically when you take the doors off...but the owner probably took the fuse out automatically because that's what he read somewhere on a forum. :p

#4 interior fuse, 10A.
I call BS.

Mr. "I sold my J**P" is pretending not to know which is a YJ and which is a TJ.
:thefinger:
TJVigilante Wrote:02's should turn the dome light off automatically when you take the doors off...but the owner probably took the fuse out automatically because that's what he read somewhere on a forum. :p

#4 interior fuse, 10A.

How's that work? Do earlier TJs have the dome light switches in the doors? I messed with a Mazda/Ford truck once with dome light issues. The switches were inside the door and integrated in the latch.

He says the lights are working, just not with the doors, so the interior fuze must still be in.

Stumblinman

I thought I could help so I ran out to the CJ for comparison but they're nothing alike. The dome/map light is located on the floor between the seats and says Maglite on it. :p

TJVigilante

SHoppe715 Wrote:How's that work? Do earlier TJs have the dome light switches in the doors? I messed with a Mazda/Ford truck once with dome light issues. The switches were inside the door and integrated in the latch.

He says the lights are working, just not with the doors, so the interior fuze must still be in.

There's a button switch in the door jambs of pre-01 TJ's that pops out when the door opens. Most people put tape over these switches if they don't know about the fuse that is made specifically for this purpose. I don't know how it is with 01 and up TJ's, Never looked that closely.
Yes, exactly, button switch pushed by the door and a fuze to remove when doors are off. How's that turns off automatically when doors removed thing work on '02s?

TJVigilante

Got me...just what I've read. Maybe there's a timer?
TJVigilante Wrote:Got me...just what I've read. Maybe there's a timer?

There is a timer. Mine turn off after a few minutes with a door open. It's a battery protection thing, but I wouldn't rely on that system to monitor the dome lights when running doorless. I imagine if you read about lights shutting off "automatically", that's what they were talking about and maybe doing. They probably think their Jeeps are magicRolleyes.