Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Calibrate speedometer on 2006 Jeep
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am going to larger tires on my 2006 TJ Rubicon and want to recalibrate the speedometer. From what I've found out so far is that the newer models have an electronic sensor vs. the gears that the older models had. I don't believe I can simply change gears on the speedo cable to recalibrate. Is this correct?

If I have to do it electronically, can the dealer calibrate for 33" tires? I have also found a Superlift TruSpeed module ($170) that can modify the signal for tire size. I'm not sure how much Gene's would charge to recalibrate or if I even would want to take my Jeep into them. I am thinking that the $170 may be money well spent, especially if I move up to 35" tires in the future. Any other options?
They charge 100

99TJ

dakota digital is supposed to make one that is less than $80, might look into that
Most of the reprogramers/ power programers will let you change the cal for the speedo and you can get a power boost.

akdsmer

Gene's did my Dodge for free. Of course, the change was (way) off and I had to give them the rev/mile to get it corrected. Get the rev/mile from your tire supplier and give them that. If Gene's wants to charge you, you are better off with a reprogrammer, if it's available. For my 04 WJ, I could not correct via the scan tool and was told I would have to use an electronic module to correct the ratio.
I wouldn't take it to Gene's just on principle.

I imagine most tire shops can recalibrate and electronic speedometer. May even convince them to throw it in with the tire purchase.

Let me know what works for you 'cause I'll need to do this very soon myself.

akdsmer

SHoppe715 Wrote:I imagine most tire shops can recalibrate and electronic speedometer. May even convince them to throw it in with the tire purchase.

I doubt that most shops can. Most scan tools cannot do this bi-directional function, as it is DRBIII (or 4) specific. Genysis, Snap-on and AutoEnginuity don't support this function for sure, and the first two are the most widely used scan tools out there.

Let me know if there is someone out there doing it, that would be good information to know.