Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: ZUKI problems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Chetnak

Hey LNS I was looking on some forums trying to help answer some of your problems with the "little" Zuki.

Hope it helps.
Chet

Idle Problems  From: CR_PENNY@wow.com

QUESTION:

Just a quick question for you. I recently bought a 1987 Samurai and just love it. I have one little problem: After it warms up the motor just dies. It restarts but as soon as I take my foot off the gas it sputters and dies. I would like to know if anyone else has had this problem? As a diehard CJ7 fan and ex-owner I have had my share of problems, and joys. I live the R. V. life and the Samurai seemed to be the proper weight and size for a little towed vehicle. By the way where did they hide the fuel filter? [Editor’s note: Inside the frame just by the right rear wheel.] Guess I need to buy a manual. [Editor’s Note: Call Helm Incorporated or Petroworks Off-road Products for a manual.]

--CR Penny

ANSWER:

As far as your idle problem goes, if you have the stock carb, sounds like a linkage has come undone or you have a vacuum leak. The most common vacuum leak is the connection from the air intake cover (the one that sits on top of the carb) down to the intake manifold. A can of carb cleaner can be sprayed on the hoses to check for leaks.
--Redline___________
(Roland Hahn)

QUESTION:

I have a 1987 Samurai with a stock (for now) carbureted engine. Whenever I start it cold it idles extremely high when on the choke. I mean, it sounds like it’s running at the redline (it has no tach). After five minutes or so it slows to a calm steady idle. Do all Samurais idle so high? I live in an apartment complex and have to park my Sami around the corner to avoid waking the neighbors at 5:30 in the morning when I leave for work. In addition to the noise it’s eating a lot of fuel. If this isn’t normal do I need a new choke or should I just change the carb to a Weber? If I do that, are they reliable, or will I always be messing with it?

ANSWER:

The choke idle seems to work itself up, huh? There is an adjustment screw for the fast idle, look at the a shop manual to get a good picture (the Haynes manual doesn’t have a good picture). It is facing the passenger side of the carb and is located near the back. It is a spring loaded screw that adjusts the cam for the fast idle. Like they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. I usually set mine around 2000-2500 rpm, otherwise the engine seems to want to stall.
--Jonathan Hall
1986 Samurai
1988 Samurai
1981 Volkswagen Rabbit Convertible

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Overheating  From: CR_PENNY@wow.com

QUESTION:

Thanks for the quick response to my problem. I now have bigger problems: I took the Zuk on a short drive on the freeway at normal speed. The temperature gauge went off the scale, but as I pulled of the freeway the temperature plummeted right back to normal. Well the first thing I did was to remove the thermostat. But someone had already done that deed. I noticed that the fan could be held very easy at idle hot with little or no resistance. So I don’t think it’s working all that great. At temperature, the exhaust manifold is leaking near the oxygen sensor. Maybe that is messing with fuel mixture? I noticed at full throttle it would cool down, so go figure. What’s up? The engine doesn’t boil over or run unevenly unless at idle. I’m trying to get a motor manual, maybe that will help. Any ideas?

--CR Penny

ANSWER:

Now for the overheating problem: It has to have a thermostat, without it the water flows too quickly to be cooled properly. Also it sounds like the fan is shot. You can replace it with a new stock or 15" electric; both work well. Have your system flushed and use the additive Water Wetter from Redline Oil. If you still have an overheating problem then you should take a closer look at the engine, but I don’t think you will have to go that far. Good luck and if you have any more questions I’ll be glad to try and help.
--Redline___________
(Roland Hahn)

LowNSlowNeon

my idle woes are gone Big Grin

Chetnak

Rodger that just checkin

LowNSlowNeon

I do have some other problems that I am pretty darn ticked off about....

but ill get a nut for the carb..... and finish fine tuning it..hopefully