Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Locker ????????
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

the_ronster

Ok, so I'm looking at getting a locker for my D44 in the very near future. I was thinking of the Eaton E locker, but I want to hear about your experiences with a lunchbox or other non selectable locker on the Alaska Ice and snow. How bad are they, and what can I exprect with my DD? Thanks!

Ron
Front or rear locker ? If its your rear I would say pack your lunch.

akjeep

If you're not used to a locker on ice, you may need to learn to drive all over again. It's managable, but ya gotta get used to it.

especially ft and rear!

the_ronster

It would be for the rear. I am waiting on the E locker for the front.

akjeep

I would think the most important thing is not to give it too much throttle at the wrong times. Try to take off from the light too fast and you're sidways. Too much power into a turn = your rear bumper passes your front bumper.

But you'll learn to manage it. Just has a new feel to it.
Yes being locked in the rear can pose somewhat of a challenge when driving on ice. But it also gives you much more traction I personlly like it a lot better, but also grew up in a era of driving rear wheel drive cars on ice, so I like sideways action drifting is fun. Locked in the rear and running four wheel drive makes it easy to drive.

AKLJ8

STOMPR Wrote:Yes being locked in the rear can pose somewhat of a challenge when driving on ice. But it also gives you much more traction I personally like it a lot better, but also grew up in a era of driving rear wheel drive cars on ice, so I like sideways action drifting is fun. Locked in the rear and running four wheel drive makes it easy to drive.
Just what I was going to say... I have a full Detroit locker in the back of my Scrambler and have a blast with it. Hwy driving in two wheel drive is where to watch out. Don't gas it to pass someone or you'll have a hand full. Around town I have gotten pretty good at steering with the go peddle. The added traction is a big plus for me too.

akjeep

Yes being locked in the rear can pose somewhat of a challenge when driving on ice. But it also gives you much more traction I personlly like it a lot better, but also grew up in a era of driving rear wheel drive cars on ice, so I like sideways action drifting is fun.
[/quote]

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!

STOMPR Wrote:Locked in the rear and running four wheel drive makes it easy to drive.

Unless of coursre you lock the front as well!

Advent

I agree with STOMPR, except I pretty much never need 4wd on the road. I've used it exactly twice since I got my lockrite, and both were situations where I stopped on a hill and couldn't back up to take a run at it (you'd think the people sitting on my butt would have backed up or done SOMETHING else other than glare when I got out to lock my hubs...).

You have to watch it in the turns but it's easily managable.
ran a lock right for a few years, loved it. great on ice. especially with my driving style. I run a spool now and love it even more, way more predictable, and I can actually hang a drift on the downshift a lot better.

I'd say go for it.