Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Need technical assistance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

1990 Chevy Blazer - full size rig
5.7 TBI
4 speed manual trans / 241 t-case

Got a clutch installed but it didn't work - ended up bending my clutch hydraulic push rod trying to get it to work.

Removed it and found that it had been installed backwards. (Rolleyes though I helped, I wasn't the one who installed it.)

Installed it properly and ... it still doesn't work. It is as if the clutch never engages. As if the pressure plate doesn't release at all.

The fork is lined up, the throw out bearing lined up.
Clutch line bled (with vacuum bleeder.)
As soon as the foot touches the pedal, the push rod moves.

However, there doesn't seem to be much resistance in the pedal until 1/2 way to the floor. The fork moves and pushed the throw-out bearing into the fingers ... so it appears to be working properly, yet no disengagement form the clutch.

I am litterally banging my head against a fender (and leaf spring, and diff, and ...) trying to figure out why this doesn't work. I am beyond frustrated, and behind on other projects because I can't get this out of my garage, and due to my other plow truck being down, I HAVE to get this going.

The only thing I can figure is I have the wrong clutch/pressure plate (which is very possible, I got it from NAPA on Gaffney and get the wrong parts there more often than I get the right parts there. That's why I normally get things from the NP store where they tend to get me the right parts...)

Anyone with knowledge around that could help me trouble shoot this?

Any ideas?

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

have that clutch assy check I would say its the wrong one. It could also be misboxed.Is the disc in the right way? Do you have the old pressure plate to compare to the new one?
I had this same problem with my old wrangler after I put in a new clutch I checked everything and even replaced the clutch master but the problem persisted come to find out there was a minute leak in a fitting on the line replaced that and never had another problem

akdsmer

I plan on arrriving at 9-9:30. Just have to get the sniffer rig up downloaded, initialized, calibrated and activated. Rolleyes
Culprit: wrong part.

After beleeding, re-bleeding, and a bunch more tinkering we actually got it to work, but it let out an inch off the floor and... wasn't right. Hydraulics were working correctly. Linkage and such was right, fork and throw-out bearing good. What was left? to drop the trans/t-case and check the pressure plate... which weren't right. Visibly different in heighth wich lead to the clutch barely disengaging.

Thanks for the responses and calls, can't express how frustrated I was earlier today.

Kelly called and offered to come help me tonight. Before he got here, Mel showed up. We ate pie and drank coffee and told stories tinkered with the rig, waited for Kelly to get here and eat his pie ... and figured things out. Much thanks to the both of ya.

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

part# should be a MU19-1, MU19-1a or MU19-1c
At least you figured it out. Thought I was gonna have to fly up there.

Big Grin
MMMM......pie and coffee...
ARCTIC_EXPRESS Wrote:part# should be a MU19-1, MU19-1a or MU19-1c

Righto - but is it the 1, 1a, or 1c???

Napa didn't have one of the same style - except in the 11" clutch disc (I need a 12" clutch disc)

I had a good clutch, and the old pressure plate. Didn't want to use them because of this being the "plow vehicle" but without Napa having one that I knew would work, they refunded my $140 (from a purchase in May of '07) and I am now using the old stuff that I know will (should) work. Big Grin

Have the clutch and pressure plate bolted up, as well as the bell housing. Now awaiting the incredible hulk sized Shamoo to stop by and help me reinstall.

Thanks again to Mel and Kelly for the assistance last night.
:clap: Much thanks and appreciation to those who lent a hand and/or advice

You guys rock! :rockon:

Put the old pressure plate (after some cleaning) and a barely used clutch disc in great shape in.

Bolted everything back together, and it worked well. I should probably bleed the clutch again, but the clutch disengaged about 1/2 way through the pedal.

Backed it outside and swapped tires.

I have a few more things I want to tinker with on it, but Monday should be IM, title and tags.

Good grief! I can't believe how just about .010 in heighth + whatever design differences can wreak absolute havock.

On the other hand, it is nice having friends who you can trust and that are willing to lend a hand, or who offer to lend a hand, or who will even talk you into letting them lend a hand. Again, my thanks.
I REALLY miss having friends like that close enough to come give you a hand