Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Do/could/would you trailer your rig?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

naturalbornmudder

If you had the ability (i.e. a tow rig, trailer, and your towing rig loaded got better gas mileage than your trail rig alone does, like mineRolleyes) would you?
Would you consider making your rig a trail only rig/trailer queen?

Think economy, difficulty, convenience, etc.

For example. I have the GMC with air bags and tow/haul package. Got the car hauler. The truck gets 14 to 15 towing the heep around. The heep gets 11 to 12 just driving.
I plan on having a trail only rig and am more than equipped to tow.
I actually used to. I had an 01 ram cummins diesel, a car trailer and a 93 YJ. I was looking into Humvees/Hummers at the time and some Jack@*& stole my trailer and insurance wouldn't cover it. So I wound up selling the Jeep and truck and buying the Hummer. I loved that tow rig though, it pulled the Jeep/trailer like it wasn't even there. I have gone a bit overboard on the Hummer though, I love the Iroks offroad but wish I had radials on the street. I used to get 13.5 mpg with stock tires but now get around 11 with the 42's. I think my next set of tires might be some 40 MTR's or something like that, maybe IROK radials but they don't have a lot of tread depth like the bias IROKs do. I wouldn't have a trail only vehicle though, kinda like having a drag race only type car, I am too busy to use it most of the time and it would just sit around a lot if I couldn't/wouldn't drive it on the street. If I keep the Hummer I am gonna make it more streetable. I just love the 42's though...... decisions, decisions...
I would prefer to drive short distance (under 50 miles), any more than that , my back starts to hurt. I can flat tow it during the summer. I am getting a trailer for long hauls.

99TJ

If I had the equipment and the trail rig I would deregister it and trailer it everywhere. However as long as my heep is street legal, I'll probably drive it as long as I can.
There aren't enough options! Big Grin

As in the case of Skitzo, I can't register it without limiting my useage.

If it is registered, even to be on a trail, it is supposed to be liscensed.
If it is licensed, it is supposed to be IM'd
Since it won't pass Im, I would seasonal register it
If it's seasonally registered, I cannot use it anywhere, on road or off, within the FNSB from Nov - Apr
Thus if I registered it I would limit my ability to use it.

So there is no real option for me with Skitzo that I have figured out at this point.

However, on long hauls, I have trailered the Blazer before (Meet-n-Greet, Rainbow) Of which I did keep it registered and legal

TJVigilante

I'd trail-only and tow it, definitely. Once a rig goes trail-only, that removes all kinds of restrictions from the build, such as fender flares, mud flaps (both of which might be good ideas anyway if you mud...saves cleanup time), engine modification/swap restrictions, etc.

It would allow me to build my jeep with Full-hydro steering which removes about 90% of the issues I'll run into wanting to stretch the front axle forward, and about 80% with stretching the rear axle back by allowing me to run a fuel cell instead of the stock tank.
its also really nice knowing if i break on the trail im still getting the family home nice warm ,dry and safe .. been a few times ive had to winch my truck back on the trailer to get home ..

also you dont have to worry about bumper and frame heights when you trailer it ..

insurance ,gas,im regestration is all other big savings as well ..

i was wondering if the state gives out the atv decals for state property trails for our rigs like they do for atv's and snow machines ?
I'd absolutely tow a rig. Not too far down the road I'll be using the M715 to tow a buggy for the kid to drive. Farther down the road I don't see the GB staying street legal anyway.
Fix_It Wrote:i was wondering if the state gives out the atv decals for state property trails for our rigs like they do for atv's and snow machines ?

This is what I was attempting to do with Skitzo - to no avail ... yet!
I am going to build a small trailer just bigg enough for my truggy, for towing it long distances like to meet and great, but I had a trailer and used to tow my YJ everywhere and its a real hassel, plus when you get to the trail the whole time you are wheeling you keep worrying about if someone is stealing your trailer, or breaking into your tow rig, The turd is being over built so it has a reliable, safe, comphortable ride to and from the trail. I voted trailer sometimes but 90% drive to the trail drive home
I plan on alway having my rig/rigs road legal. The only instance where I would trailer it would be to tow it behind a truck/truck camper rig which would allow me to have camping facilities for long trips or extended events like Meet-N-Greet.
anything at and past palmer,... tow it! i drove the dodge on 10" of lift, shortarms, stock tires mind you, but rough. it was dancing all over the road. and every bump felt like a mountain. i dig it for the short 2 hour and under trips. but much over that, trailer