Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Fort Wainwright offroad area
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

naturalbornmudder

I was approached by Kodiak Dodge about helping with a proposed legitimate, command-authorized offroad park on Fort Wainwright. I got the impression that he will need assistance with this. I intend on lending help in this to Foster community aRea to wheel. I am going to strt drumming up interest on Eielson AFB.
Perhaps the AO gang could get involved. Contact Kodiak Dodge or myself.
AWESOME!!! I wish I were there to help. I really hope they have a rock garden and some significant obstacles with bypasses for those who are unlocked with smaller tires. It would be really cool if Eielson did the same and maybe end up with a hardcore trail connecting Eileson and Wainwright.

BTW Welcome back, I am glad to see you back on the board here.
Heck yeah! I've been reading his thread on Pirate too. That's going to be awesome.
Didn't know there was a thread on Pirate, can anyone post a link?
Nate, like I told Kev, if you want input from an enlisted GI that's been stationed on FtWW since '01 and been wheeling that area since '02 when ya'all deal with the FtWW bigwigs just gimme a holler. I've worked with CSM Wentland before on other stuff.

trailkilla

CSM Wentland is an offroader himself. He stopped me just to look at my jeep at the PX once and we talked for a good 30minutes or so. This should be a pretty easy venture.
Groovy...keep us informed over here...can't wait to get back and wheel. Maybe we can invite the CSM on a run or two... somebody give him a stalker card..

trailkilla

I'll post it on his rig when I get home in July or while on R&R in late APR early May. Oh yeah I need stalker cards.
93hummer Wrote:Groovy...keep us informed over here...can't wait to get back and wheel. Maybe we can invite the CSM on a run or two... somebody give him a stalker card..

Hey now, that gives me an idea...Confusedhifty:

OneWeakXJ

This is awesome guys, once the plans start getting drawn up post them up I want to see!!

Stumblinman

Crap I can't find the other thread. Where is this being staged ? For some reason I was thinking approach hill. I was out on a test run tonight and got to thinking that it couldn't be because of.. well.. the approach lights are right there and there couldn't be any lighting because of it.

Stumblinman

nevermind I found it and it is approach hill.
awaiting update

TJVigilante

Yup lots of area on approach hill that aren't by the lights.

Thing is I'm surprised they'd allow such a large spectator crowd so close to the lights to begin with, and you can only go so far in any direction before you hit: the road, the lights, or the cliff. Sage hill would be a much better area...already open, nothing close to it, and there's ROCKS! Make a rock garden out of the large chunks of basalt carved out when they excavate for the pit(if it's designed like the example photos).

Stumblinman

yeah but Sage Hill is surrounded by swamp and what would it take to run lights out there...

TJVigilante

I thought there were already power lines out on Sage Hill road...

And there's plenty of non-swamp land bordering sage hill, but it'll require leveling timber.

Stumblinman

I was up there tonight and it was dark. :p
I guess if you wanted real rocks then the obvious place would be the quarry. But I think they're working on using spray crete. With a little work that path up the quarry hill could be fun for a rock crawler.

Stumblinman

Not really that much non swamp land. In the summer you really don't want to head towards the pipeline. The winter is fine though. And you have to remember across the street you run into land conservation territory.
I heard through the grapevine the project was dead but I may be wrong.

TJVigilante

Power lines don't equal lights, Mike. :p

Just saying it wouldn't take a lot of work to put up a few more poles and string some cable off of the existing power grid, compared to taking lines all the way back there from nothing. I'm also assuming there are power poles that stretch all the way out there...it's been a while and I may be wrong. I think maybe the lines just head north to the complex out there, rather than east along Sage Hill Road.

If the project is dead, that sucks. Hope the Lions can scratch our backs a bit and put in more than a mud pit on their complex.

Stumblinman

OK OK I get your meaning. but you're wrong anyways. :troutslap:
hehh well there are power lines. Hence the power line hill...
but they don't go to sage hill or well I have not seen any up there. There is a tower or something up there by the cliff. And back in the day in the civilian world, poles were costing about 2K a piece so...
I heard a rumor there were some deployed soldier who were not backing the idea.

trailkilla

I can vouch for a group of safety nazi's that do not want the park around approach hill at all. Me being a safety nazi I am in aggreeance with them. Also why do we want to give FT WW a reason to limit where we go riding. But hey if we (AO) are going to get onboard with this we need to push to keep it away from approach hill. Sage hill seems to be a favorite with everyone I have been out with so maybe push for somewhere around that area.

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

I heard that the money for this will not be coming through...

ARCTIC_EXPRESS

I have moved this thread to members only. Sorry but I am not deleting this just because he started this thread

trailkilla

I agree
Glad you didn't delete this. I don't even think it should have been moved cause now only members can have input on this.

I talked to Dusty for a while Sat and this is going to happen. He has been in contact with several folks on FWW. I informed him that I am willing to help and to contact us (AO) if he wants any help or input or such from us. I also got a little more insight into what it is going to be. They are wroking on making rock garden area and trails off of it. It will be more like a park and involve MWR and be apay to play thing and sounds like it will be worth it.

So can we move it back to land use so others including Dusty can have input on the issue and such.
Pages: 1 2