Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Trails Advisory Commission ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Stumblinman

Is this who deals with offroad vehicles on trails ?

Trails Advisory Commission

Established by ordinance under Chapter 2.62 to be the advisory body to borough government on matters relating to trails within the borough, especially relating to the comprehensive recreational trails plan, a component of the Comprehensive Plan of the Fairbanks North Star Borough. This commission replaces the duties of the Parks and Recreation Commission in regard to trails and the borough trail system. It is supported administratively by the Parks and Recreation Department. This commission is up for reauthorization every six years, by ordinance. This commission was reauthorized in 2006.
  • Members
  • Meetings – The Trails Advisory Commission meets the 2nd Tuesday of each month in the Blue Room at the Alaska Centennial Center for the Arts, at 6:00 P.M. unless otherwise announced. For further information, contact the Parks and Recreation Dept. at 459-1070 or email parks@co.fairbanks.ak.us.
Cool, I did not know these meetings existed.
yes and no.
yeah i have been down this road before

Stumblinman

So is it a dead end or is there a trail at the end ?
ok here goes,
and anyone please correct me if there have been any changes and i am now wrong, but yes they are exactly what it says, trails, they are a great resource for just about any state trail and trail system, but they don't really consider trails as like for trucks. you dig?

ok look on a good camping map that shows all the little symbols of outdoor activities. there is the swimming guy, and the hiking guy, and the Xcountry ski guy, but where is the offroader? there is a snowmachine and a 4wheeler, but no truck. they run by state laws for ORV, <1500 lbs. if you are larger than that, they really don't care.

now it might be different, i just tried to contact them a few times about a few trails, 2 years ago, and they were more interested in insulting people that think they have a reason to tear up this beautiful land with giant trucks and machinery, and preaching to me about my decadent ways.
but like i said, for all i know, it might be different now
It isn't they think all offroaders run tractor tires and run willy nilly thru the woods, i have talked with them in the past and they pretty must hate us!

Stumblinman

zukman1993 Wrote:It isn't they think all offroaders run tractor tires and run willy nilly thru the woods, i have talked with them in the past and they pretty must hate us!

This might be a reason to reach out to them and offer some insight into our world.

TJVigilante

Won't matter much if they have no interest in hearing our POV. That's been the general issue with land-use issues regarding our sport/hobby. Unfortunate as it is, it'll be akin to beating our heads on a brick wall.

Stumblinman

Then again if everyone was for us and offroading would we have any land-use issues in the first place......

TJVigilante

I guess with the recent closing of Paragon, and the announcement of the imminent closing of Tellico, and the possible closing of the Hammers, I'm a little jaded when it comes to the possibility that we have any say in what happens in this field. I'll leave the politics out of it as much as I can but the next 2, maybe 4 years is going to be a tough time for our sport.
Joe it will matter. If we all have the attitude that what we say doesn't matter then we might as well give up now.
mike and mel have really good points, if they don't know we are here, then what justice do they owe to anyone?

all the more reason to have a unified voice...

Mike Echo

Or get someone elcted/selected for a Commision seat (or 2, or 3).
Mike