Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Hub Centric
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

michaeljr5

Moved from For sale board.

No, my rims are factory rims. I was just looking for a set of 15 inchers for when I wear out these 16 inch tires. I'll switch at that point. For $100 it was worth asking. I do know that the rims that where on the pathfinder fit the Monty perfectly. But the rims on the Monty need special bolts so they would not fit the Pathfinder. The lugs had different threads.

I really don't inderstand this "hub-centric" thing. If some one can explain it, I'd appreciate it. But, to me rims have always been just rims, as long as they fit.

michaeljr5

mousee Wrote:hubcentris is exactly what it implies. The wheel is centered by the hub instead of the lugs. in other words it is a tight fit between the wheels and the hubs...

Ooh. So what if I use a rim that is not hub centric? Lots of guys swith out the rims on these truck.
it'll be fine. the lugs will be centering the wheels instead of the hubs. Theoretically it can put more stress on the lugs and may not be as true, but your not going over 100mph so...

Remember that MOST aftermarket wheels are going to be lugcentric. Properly installed they are fine. It's when you get the yahoos with the airguns that have never heard of a torque wrench that have wheels come off... Big Grin
OEM's use the hubcentric cause it is the most true way to run a wheel and they want the ride to be flawless so...

Anyway, don't stress it. Find some aftermarket wheels, bolt 'em on correctly, and wheel the piss out of it...

michaeljr5

Thanks for the info, I never knew that. :allrighty:

TJVigilante

wheel manufacturers also make hubcentric rings that bear some of the load off of the lugs...allows them to manufacture wheels cheaper because they don't have to machine each hub to fit a specific vehicle, just go with the next size up hole and have varying thickness rings that fit around the hub inside the wheel.

Lugcentric wheels don't do too much damage though, it's all the same.
The only problem with the wheel manufacturers hub rings is that MOST of them are plastic. Officially the plastic ones are a one time use thing. There are only a few that are doing Aluminium or anadised aluminium and you have to pay for them.
Idea :expert:
I totally NEVER heard of this stuff before.
Unless you have done deep research to buy a set of tuner wheels or have sold a bazillion of 'em there is no need to know. Don't feel like your missing anything. Now that I don't deal with it every day and don't sell the crap every day, it is information that is taking up room of something else to learn...

That's like the jack handy siamese gay thing... that just pushed out something usefull... :laugh: