Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: How many and at what??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

holeski

How many years of experience do you have at driving offroad and on what kind of terrain?

TJVigilante

1 year almost to the day
Fairbanks Creek, Manchu, 55 mile. I'm a super noobie.

LowNSlowNeon

Hrm , since I was a wee one...

Mud/Rock/Slick Rock/Creeks

AK20

Started driving offroad in a 1980 Chevy 1 Ton when I was 12 logging in Washington, then upgraded to a 8 speed farm truck when I was 15 on old skidder roads and such. 4xing didn't start until I was 17, tight trails, hillclimbs, bogs, and a little rock every now and again. So to the question of how many years, I guess 13 or 8 depending on how you look at it. You name it, I've probely encountered something similiar in Washington...you for one could attest to that Eric, you lived there!

holeski

LowNSlowNeon Wrote:Hrm , since I was a wee one...

That’s not that long since you and your girl still look like wee ones. :passifier:

AK20

holeski Wrote:That’s not that long since you and your girl sill look like wee ones. :passifier:

Ohhhhh, snap!

LowNSlowNeon

holeski Wrote:That’s not that long since you and your girl sill look like wee ones. :passifier:

Zing... but no I wheeled my old mans jeep probably at the preteen age....
I used to go wheeling in my dads old waggy when I was like 7, but since then I wheeled every vehicle I could get my hands on through everything i could get it through... to include my Honda Accord... may it rest in pieces...

Chetnak

Well I'm 22 years old now and I've been offroading since 15-16 mostly mud, trails and alittle bit of rocks. But thats what I manly want to do.

canchaser

pre-teen fist victim moms bronco.... lol ahhhh memories
secondly my cousins jeep in his hore pasture..... more rust on that heep than anything else.
but I was riding along in daddy's FJ since before I could walk
and all in FL mud and swamp........
AO is my first club. Member since 03.
I tore up some dirt roads in high school after rainstorms.
In NM I did some small rocks in my TJ on 31s. mostly rutted sandy stuff
So, since HS don't count for ****, I'd say 9 years experience.

4x4_MMMH_4x4

since i was about 14 with my pops... and when i got my ford tempo it only got worse... who knew those things could go threw water window high?!?! and not flood on the inside!!!! amazing i tell you... oh and im 20 now...
canchaser Wrote:hore pasture

Sicko! :laugh:

Since I was an ittie bitty. I grew up loggging so every summer we would pack up and spend the summer in the hills... Now those are some fond memories... almost all at or near the Seqouia National Forest in the Sierra's. Except for when I lived on the central coast of cali. Mud, rock, sand (pismo), trails, desert, snow, you name it I have driven on it. The funny thing is MOST of my offroading has been in 2x4's...Big Grin

sittincopilot

does driving offroad on accident count??? umm well i would have to go with none,unless you count driving a truck accross a corn field. Done that a number of times haha. I have always be "co-pilot" but we can change that this summer. I will drive the zuki out there a few times!!
Two years of mud back almost ten years ago. Although many of those experiences required a vehicle with a John Deere sticker to pull me out. For four year prior to that used the same John Deere to pull other suckers out of the same spot.

Recently I've got about three years of Rock crawlin' under the belt.

AKLJ8

I started driving on old loging roads in Oregon sitting on my dad's lap in his 71 Bronco. I was about 5 if that counts...

I learned to drive in that old Bronco. Dad traded it in to the dealer he bought it from in 85. I went looking for it 18 years later and found the current owner. He wont sell but I have a standing offier and hope to get it back one of these days...

XFactor

LowNSlowNeon Wrote:Hrm , since I was a wee one...

If you shake more than twice are you playing with yourself?:tease: Confusedheep: :laugh:
Really I got into wheeling up here in '93 in an 88 Comanche with lift and 33's. Then I bought my blazer in 95. SO I'd say 13 years except for about 4 of those I didn't wheel when down in the states, so 9 seems fair. Mostly up here, mostly on the trails we run and mud pits. Only real rocks I have encountered are at Boulder Creek / Rainbow mountain trails. I did a little beach wheeling back in 91 though - several weekends in NC by the Atlantic.

naturalbornmudder

I first wheeled my 84 Bronco in 1996, mostly mud. Then in Idaho in 97 I wheeled my 91 Cherokee in desert and rocks. Once I got to Japan in 98, I started a small club and I wheeled my 84 and 91 Hilux's on coral rocks and mud with a good bit of hills as well.
Arrived in Alaska with 2 Jeeps and joined the club about 4 months later.

So roughly 10 years. I learned the most about technique, safety, and recovery from the AO club.