Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: things we dont think about.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have been thinking about this topic for a few hours now and just what i wanted to say. it was first going to just state look what happend to me today but i got to thinking is this just some thing we all do. this topic is some thing that all 4x4 should do from the newbie to the veteren because the end result could turn out bad if not fatal in some sittuations. as most of you know i just got home several days ago from a 12 month deployment to iraq. over the last 12 months i have been buying parts for black beauty to make it bigger and better. like most people who lover there rigs i wanted to get in mine. now my blazer had several homes while i was gone. first my house, then the wifes old house then finally kevins place where it sat till today. with all the shinny new parts in my garage i just couldnt take it any more yesterday and had to go get my blazer from kevins if only just to drive it again before my build up started. while i was gone and before going to kevins i sold my old tires and rims to a fellow deployed member that was with me because i was going bigger. so another set was put on in the middle of winter. then it got put on a trail and taken to kevins because the plates were expired. ok enough with the back store now to the point of this. i know in the army we stress preventive maintance on our vehicles. check the fluids, belts and such. i know i check the basics before each trail ride. fluids topped off, belts good, no broken parts. what i want to stress is if you havent driven you rig in sometime do a more in depth check on everything. basicly if it can fall off on the highway at speed check and make sure it wont. now to my story. to i pick up black beauty today after not seeing her in a year. i was excited, my kids were excited. it fired up after getting some fuel in the carb and pured like a kitten. i pulled it around to the front of kevins and load up my new pitbulls. we talk at kevins then it was time to go. my son really wanted to ride with dad again in the blazer being he claims it as his. so off we went with my wife and daughter in front in the car and me and my son behind. well i need some fuel so we had to stop in northpole. my wife made and wrong turn on over pass to early and thank god she did. as she realized she made this wrong turn she pulled over on a side street and i did behind her. as i pulled over and hit the brakes my front left tire and rim fell off the hub. i was barely rolling when this happend so no damage was done. thank to good lord kevin was a phone call away and was my savior. he came right out brought a jack, tools and 6 lug nuts to get me rolling again. it really didnt hit me hard till i was on my way home again just how lucky i really was. the tire and rim could have came off while i was doing 60 down the road. i could have lost control and hurt or killed me and my son. the tire could have hit another car and done the same. my point is this because i my neglect i could have hurt myself, family or some inicent person. i didnt spend 12 months in iraq not getting blown up or shot at to get hurt or killed or dont the same to some one ealse becaue i just want to get my rig to my house. so i stress to all members new and old to check the things you might over look becaue the usually are good every time, and if you havent been in the rig awhile do a good check of all things. when we did get the tire and rim back on i did check the rest and yes some lug nut were loose and some were tight. in no way am i blaming any one ealse for this. many things could have contributed to this. weather and the fact is was cold when the aluminum rims want on and it alot warmer now. and yes i have pics to follow. i just need to get them off my cell phone.

TJVigilante

Wow it was a workout to read that. Big Grin Glad you and your son are safe...preventative maintenance is definitely something I need to work on better myself. I've been lucky thus far to not get into any serious issues besides a couple tires worn down prematurely due to low pressure, but once I almost lost a tire due to lugnuts falling off, and they've been loose on a couple other occasions as well. My unit bearing on my passenger's side is real loose but not making any noise yet like the driver's one was...but that's not always an indication of something ready to go...so until I get that changed out it's parked besides short jaunts or emergencies.

DADSFJ

You have a very good point. Would like to add that you cant always take someones word for it that everything is good. get out and look. I have had wheels come off on me twice. Scared the @%$$ out of me. Fortunately nobody was hurt, thank god.

Stumblinman

Well I had a couple witty things to say but instead... I'm glad all turned out well .

Besides you only need 3 tires to touch the ground. Smile
[Image: pict0183768x1024.jpg]

Sorry couldn't resist.... Big Grin

DADSFJ

You're going to have to teach me that trick, could come in handy.Wink
we dont like to talk about how i did that
sure we do hahahaha Big Grin

trailkilla

Now although that was scary kinda it really was funny
74blazerboy Wrote:...like most people who lover there rigs i wanted to get in mine...

Confusedhifty: :oops:

Good to hear it turned out OK and no one hurt. Did the holes get wallowed out when the rim worked it's way off? I'd hate to see it happen again.

68bronco

i know i wont take this with a grain of salt infact im telling everyone im with even if they dont 4 wheel ..... very important and i remember that day lol (pic)
nope the rims are fine.
well i was going though my photobuck albums and found the pic of this so here it is. this was taken with my cell
[Image: SSPX0083.jpg]
please remember to check your nuts
74blazerboy Wrote:please remember to check your nuts

I'll bet you were checking them when that wheel came off.Big Grin