Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: filling up my TJ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

97cheepjeep

so the other day I went to the gas station and filled up the old jeep. when it was done it automatically stopped filling and started pouring gas all over the ground. and it has always kinda smelled gassy in my garage. I guess the question is has anyone else had this problem and if I unbolt the skid plate does the gas tank come down too? Thanks ahead of time

LowNSlowNeon

mine doesnt click off until it spews a little bit out.. for some reason Sad

Stupid samurai.

naturalbornmudder

IIRC there is a small vaccum line sized vent tube that comes from the gas tank that stops this from happening. If that gets messed up somehow then it will not work correctly.

Advent

LowNSlowNeon Wrote:mine doesnt click off until it spews a little bit out.. for some reason Sad

Stupid samurai.

Don't feel bad. I have a compound curve right after the nozzle in the filler. I'm getting good at balance hanging the whole filler handle/nozzle assembly as far out of the tube as it will go, as it'll just click click click otherwise.

LowNSlowNeon

naturalbornmudder Wrote:IIRC there is a small vaccum line sized vent tube that comes from the gas tank that stops this from happening. If that gets messed up somehow then it will not work correctly.

sounds like more work than i wanna do.. ill just stop it when i hear it ;d

canchaser

oops mines never spilled everywhere but it does gargle and spit a bit when it gets close to full

97cheepjeep

it dosen't spill the gas out the fill nozzle it spills from undernieth right behind the diff. so if I take off the skid plate is the gas tank attached to the truck or the skid? anyone?

naturalbornmudder

fuel cell replacement, I would say. Pop off thew skid plate, and the fuel cell willl drop down. If you have a hole in your tank, that is certainly not a good thing. Then again you just may have a hole in your filler neck. I cant remember off the top of my head whether the filler neck is a rubber hose connected to the tank or if it is actually part of the tank. I say get ost of the fuel out of her and drop her down. Use a 2x6 or wider to put on top of the hydraulic jack. Jack it up there for support, unbolt thew tank, and slowly lower the tank from it's place under the jeep. Then inspect.

97cheepjeep

I finally found some good pictures online of people replacing thier skid plate and the tank is strapped to the skid plate. Hopefully one of the vent hoses has poped off and I can fix it. only bad thing is I just filled up my tank a couple days ago.:mad: Thanks for the help. looks like i'll be smelling like gasoline this weekend!:bad:

naturalbornmudder

let it run while at work and burn out the majority of it. Also, just like if you were on the line with ammo, make sure cell phone is turned off, no lighter in pocket, no static producing clothing, no flame within like 100 feet or so, etc etc etc.

Take care of yourself.
If it only does it when you fill up, why not wait a week to drop the tank? Put some miles on it. Is it gonna leak until then? Park it outside, just to be safe.
Quick match will burn it all off :laugh:

no JK, Definatly drain it. Use a sifon or somehthing. You don't want 100# worth of fuel dumping everywere...

What did we used to ocall 'em before the whole pc thing? mexican credit cards? :laugh:

97cheepjeep

I had to drive into town and it says it at half of a tank but it's really more like 3/4 so hopefilly by this weekend I'll be able to have it emptied out.