Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: engine swap
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Guys,

Just talked to Kev, I will be swaping a 6.2 diesel on Saturday the 24th, could use a few hands. Post up if you can help. I will return the favors and help out on some builds in return. This will take place at kev's.
I'll be there.
I will get in on this too.
And while we're at it ... I will have a front clip and cab to swap form one frame to another.

Hopefully I can have everything disconnected - and we can remove the front clip and cab real quick to make easier work of removing the one engine to be installed on Tony's truck. Those cabs tend to be on the heavy side.
Plan as it sits right now:

Tomorrow morning around 930-1000 I will use Kev's truck/trailer and pick up my truck from Mark's and take it over to Kev's.

Saturday morning 0900, we will start the swap. The plan is to set the donor truck between my truck (getting the engine) and the other truck (getting the cab and front clip).

I will start prepping the engine in mine to pull while the other guy takes the clip off then when the clip is out of the way and my engine is out, we will pull the engine out pf the donor and put it in mine.
Donor truck has made it's appearance...

Hopefully the tires hold air long enough to get it off of the trailer! Rolleyes

Made it a bit difficult to load - well - 2 flat tires and the lack of a steering box!!! :mad:
I will probably not be much help, thanks to sickness. And customers that have had jobs pushed back.

However I can help load the truck up when you come tomorrow. I have the jump box for running the winch plugged in and it'll be ready to rock.
What time are you going to start Saturday?
0900 Saturday
Still on for tomorrow morning. The donor fired up today, smoked a tiny bit and had a slight miss for a few sconds, then she purred like a kitten, not bad for an engine that had not been ran in 2 years and had no glow plug controller...

almost no blowby with the engine running and the oil filler cap off...
I can be there to help. Do I need to bring anything, inside or outside? and I will need some directions.
Outside at Kev's. Moose Creek, not sure of the name of the road, but I am pretty sure it is the only road in Moose Creek. If coming from Fairbanks, go past North Pole and right after the bridge over the flood control area, get in the left lane, you will see a sign about 2 miles down on the left that says Moose Creek. Turn there and make your first right, then go down to the second church on the right. Look for the Church with all the Chevy's parked behind it. If you need further directions give me a call 687-0338.
The road is the Old Richardson Hwy, and the Church is the Church of Christ.

Big Grin
Anyone else out there wanna join in they're welcome.

pretty good directions already in thread.

Lots of work to get accomplished!!!
Wish I could come by and help but I have way too much to do as it is.
I will be there with the tool wagon!
Lunch to be provided around noon, my wife is cooking Filipino food and briging it over ti Kev's.

I was going to go over aroud 0700 and get an early start, but the lack of daylight made me think otherwise. heading out time now....
Thanks everyone for all the help. Got both engines out and unfortunately when changing glow plugs(7 out of 8 were bad) I broke one off.... And the only way to get it is to pull the head.... So now both engines are sitting in my garage . Over the next few days I will pull the heads, put in new gaskets and all the best parts of the two into the good engine. then another build party this time at my place to install the engine
A great Day! Almost 12 hours.

My friend Earl came over just before 8 - we started with the donuts he brought Big Grin then a trip to the dump.

By the time we got back Tony had showed up. I showed Earl where to start and started grabbing tools.

Donald showed up next and he started helping Tony get ready to pull his engine while Earl took off a bumper and I removed everything else for the front clip of donor rig #1.

Shane showed up and started helping wherever he could.

Earl started working on the bumper of donor truck #2

Got the bumper and grill off of that and Tony was ready to pull engine #1

We got the cab on donor #2 ready to move.

Pulled the engine out of donor rig #1

Somehwere in there Marsha brought lunch - some really good stuff - though I don't remember what is was called nor could I spell it correctly.

Sold my Suburban in there sometime during the day.

Chris showed up - followed by Mel and his 3 girls (I'll give you 1 guess as to who did more work!)

We got the cab off of Donor 2 and onto Earls truck. Then we started doing wiring and steering column and such - then the front clip and doors form Donor #1 to Earl's truck.

Meanwhile Tony was doing some maintenance to his "new" engine and ended up breaking a glow plug inside the cylinder! :doh: Seeing that happen was a great dissapointment - as it was almost ready to go into his truck.

So he decided he would swap heads - only how... and where... and ...

So we loaded both his engines on my trailer - and my engine hoist arm went from the truck to the hoist and loaded it on the trailer. About then Kris came out announcing chilli was for dinner and was ready to eat.

We cleaned up tools and pushed trucks around out of the middle of the yard, cleaned up and had a good dinner (interrupted by unloading some firewood that Earl had delivered to my place!)

After dinner we headed to Tony's to take the engines off his trailer and into his garage for his maintentance and cleaning.

Plans are for us to take his truck to his house on my trailer when the engine is ready to install and use my hoist to install the engine in the truck in a warm garage!

Earl's truck started the day with frame, running gear, drivetrain, and bed - no cab or front clip. It ended the day looking like an actual truck. Cab and front clip installed, body lines matched up and shimed to propper heighth. And is a few hours away form running again.

Long day - a lot of progress - a little dissappointment - but a very good day. Cool
was fun. wish I could have stayed and done a little more.
You know, you can get a broken glow plug out by pulling the injector above it. Guess how I know this.
Got the broken glow plug out!!! Boy that saved me a ton of work removing and reinstalling the heads. Thanks for the tip Mark, I found pretty much the same info on thedieselpage.com last night. There was no way this one was coming out through the glow plug hole, it was mushroomed pretty bad. I also happened to have a 30MM deep well socket, i bought it a long time ago for Injectors, just haven't ever had to use it until now. [Image: 7522_1269405257533_1301890165_798923_2628551_n.jpg]
I have that socket as well as a bunch of used but good glow plugs if you need them.
Thanks Mark, I may take you up on that, I need one more good one. I have been checking things out and a lot of little things are different between the 82 and 86, so I need to do the following:

1. change the oil pressure and water temp sending units (different between 82/86)
2. change water pump (because the old one is pretty crusty and I happen to have a new one on the shelf in my garage).
3. clean the donor engine, cause it is nasty!!
4. change the CDR valve and EGR hoses over (because the donor engine has some oil leaks in those areas... see number 3 above...)
5. purchase and install new crank pulley (two peice pulley with rubber center section to absorb harmonics).
6. purchase an oil pan gasket.... may be opening a can of worms, but I might as well inspect the bottom end while it is out.
7. swap over fuel lines to/from injection pump/fuel pump/fuel filter (different between 82/86)
8. Alternator brackets are slightly different, will definitely effect belt length, install the 86 bracket onto the 82 donor.

The goal of these changes is to have pretty much everything match up to the 86's stuff so that when I go to Napa for parts, I am not mixing and matching years for different things or trying to remember what got swapped over and what did not.

That's about it for now. The donor engine showed very little blowby and no bubbling or pressurization of the coolant, so it should be a pretty solid motor. even with 7 nonfunctional glow plugs, just a tiny shot of ether and it was running, and it hadn't been started in two years.
Almost ready, down to a fuel pump, the one on it wasn't hooked up to anything (it was running on an electirc pump). Tomorrow when Napa opens, I am buying a pump and finishing it up.

Found something interesting, the fuel pump runs on a shaft that gets a bump from the cam. This shaft is about as big around as my index finger and made of steel, and it was snapped in half still in the block, a clean break. I recovered both peices, but now I really want to open the oil pan and check things out some more.

I also think I fugured out what made the other engine go out, it had a recent water pump change, and between the water pump/timing cover plate and the blcok, there was no silicone or gasket!!! This explains the antifreeze in the oil which is probably what wiped out the bearings.

Once it is ready, I will post up a date/time to reinstall it.