Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Buggy
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As I stated before after last weeks recovery mission my wife and I are interested in making a budget build buggy with BUG body. what I have a line on is a CJ8 frame ( basket case right hand drive mail jeep almost complete) for 600. and two jeep fulls size trucks one 1/2 ton and one 3/4 ton both with 360's don't know if either one works. 1/2 has 360, bad trans,D44 F&R, th400 auto, and a decent 30 something body. the 3/4 has 360, th400, dana 20? actualy (Quadra trac BW), D44F/D60R bad body all for 900. I was thinking of putting the 3/4 drive train on the CJ8 frame and using the 360 from the 1/2 ton. I am still short the body, if anyone knows of one cheap I would appriciate it! Does anyone have something else that would be better?, I don't know of any zuk around. Is the D60 rear end worth using with the lower ground clearance or the D44 I don't think the weight would be a issue. And I might have alot of jeep parts to get rid off in a hurry because my neiborhood doesn't like old cars hanging out. let me know what you think.
by Bug body you mean old school VW bug?
Yep, looking to make a 4X4 baja bug, old school look I think it would be cool looking, its just a matter of keeping it cheap.
I think it would be easier to use something else.

Fitting that type of stuff in a bug would be tough.
You can make anything fit! I think a bug bodied rig would be sweeto.

A few questions - Do you have welder and cutting tools?

Speaking from a person who has fit things where they shouldn't, these will be minimally mandatory.
No not yet, I know I will need some tools, but thats half the fun of it. I have seen a couple on the internet, some 4x4 on bronco II frames and some drag/cruz on S-10 or custom frames either way the v-8 fits between the front body and dash, custom fire wall required. I am sure I will have alot of questions on making it fit once I figure out exactly what frame I am going to use and find a VW, thats seams to be the harder part of the project for some reason.
There aren't many bugs in AK. The aircooled engines didn't do well in the extreme cold. I've seen a few for sale recently but can't remember where.

trailkilla

Do it Do it Do it... I don't see to many beetles out there for sale now but I kinda remember a couple for dirt not that long ago.
This is the only one I came across for decent money:
http://anchorage.craigslist.org/bab/1418600212.html
LOL, thats Funny!! But I don't think I the tires wood fit.

TJVigilante

Thats a cool idea, nothing is set in stone on this and a rear mounted engine could be done probably easier than a front mount, I guess I will see in a few weeks when I get the frame of the CJ8 prepped. I would just have to figure out were to put the spare and radiator.
roger lang is the man to talk to about vw bugs it is his thing!! He is on dale rd. Rodgers Auto repair..
this art to be a CRAZY ride once its built.
Thanks, Iwill get with hom for some missing parts, I am going to try and get the frame in this weekend so it can get stripped and then start the intial fitting of the body to the frame. If not htis weekend then over thanksgiving day weekend after Jakes run of course!!
The proper name is roger langs foreign car repair....phone 479-2748