Arctic Offroad Forums

Full Version: Thinking about a trailer to pull behind TJ
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Jim McCann

Don't really want to put racks and such on my Rubicon, so I'm thinking about some sort of off-road trailer to haul my extra stuff like gas and camping gear and such. I've looked into the Tentrax trailers on their site, and talked with the owner, but I'm researching other ideas. Considering having one built locally if I can't find the one I want elsewhere and at a decent price. Even thought of one of those little "Teardrop" camper trailers.

I wonder what you experienced folks think about this?

Thanks,

Jim

jeepin_al

For what you are talking about you might want to look at something even smaller then a tentrax. My Dad has a small trailer he pulls on his motorcycle. I pulled it with my TJ and it was like nothing was there. I had plent of space and it slept 4 comfortably. It also had plenty of space for supplies.

holeski

Here is one I made. Most of the time I just don't unhook it. Goes anywhere the YJ will. I ahve had it up Fairbanks Creek Trail, 55 Mile, down the Chana, Rainbow pass trails and many others.
[Image: 18marflexoffholeski1.jpg]

holeski

[Image: 18marflexoffholeski2.jpg]

holeski

It's light enough that I can pick it up and move it and flexes when there is a load in it real well. I have a tent frame that fits over it and it makes a sort of covered wagon look. Nice flat spot to thought sleeping bag down on and crash out.

holeski

Here it is saving Josh and his wife.
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=2]

Jim McCann

Wow! That was quite the river save. Nice trailer.

I've got a pal at work who is quite handy with building such stuff and has offered to help me over the next winter, but I'm thinking I might not be able to wait that long. If I do make the trailer, or have it made, I'm thinking that like Tentrax I will use a good strong axle with some identical wheels/tires as on my Rubicon. Also might use a pintel hitch instead of the usual type coupler.

On a side note...the RV folks across the street from Gene's Chrysler has a really cool little camper trailer made locally. It's a "Teardrop" camper that sleeps two. Sort of ugly, but still a cool idea. The teardrop trailer was popular in the 30s and 40s, but has made a comeback in recent times. If it wasn't $7,500 I probably would have bought it today.

Jim
I have a "Fred Meyer Special" I'll be building into an off-road trailer once I get done with a few other projects.